Historic Spon End

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

photo

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:18 pm

Blitz- kid, have trouble on placing sketch on forum-- can you advise please.
Blitzkid

Re: photo

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Hi Kaga :wave:

I assume you've already clicked on the "Upload attachment" tab below the posting box then browsed to where your image is located before clicking "Add the file"?

Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

Failing that if you can email the image to me I'll upload it for you. :smile:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: photo

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:39 am

I found the sketch you were trying to upload, also straightened it out a little. According to our logs you forgot to hit the send button after attaching the image. :smile:

I've also changed your user preferences so that you're notified of replies to your posts by default. I can easily change it back again if this annoys you?
dutchman
Site Admin

Historic Spon End

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:23 am

Thank -you Dutchman.

Brilliant Historic spon-end with it's one of twelve Gate's the entrance to the city.

Immediately within the walls on the left stands the church of ST John, the inside being in the form of a cross, a neat small tower, and short transept the windows were tall, in a long range, with little spaces between. The church was once a chapel for the Merchants Guild. licensed by Edward 111 in1340. for brothers and sisters with a warden or master who might bestow alms or other worked of piety.
They purchased lands within the City, for the founding of six priests, to sing Mass every day in the churches of Trinity and St Michael for the Soul of King Edward and Queen Philippa. Isabel, Queen mother, assigned the land on the spot, then called Bablake for the building of another chapel to sing Masses daily. ON the dissolution it it supported a warden, eight and priests, a master of a Grammar school two filing clerks, two singing-boys and several old men of the past Guild. the church was rebuilt in 1734. Behind the church was Bablake Hospital, a court in the middle, and alms-houses in 1506 founded by the mayor Thomas Bond for ten poor men and one woman and one priest.
Blitzkid

Re: Historic Spon End

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:31 am

Dutchman
May I also add that I slept for a week in a tower similar to these only much larger, made of solid stone blocks of six x four this tower had seen all the Crusades and bore the marks of such. It once guarded the old port of Jaffa, but we had a fatal accident and replaced.
This is not Coventry but 3/4 of us was from dear old Cov.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Blitzkid, you've had a long and interesting life, I look forward to hearing lots more of it. :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:01 am

Coventry was an Open town for many centuries, and of course, incapable of sustaining a siege. the walls and Gates were built in 1355 granted a licence for such by Edward 111, it took over 40 years to complete.
The walls were of great strength and grandeur, Paid for by taxing the people, furnished with thirty two towers and twelve gates, until 1661 when a great part of the wall, towers and gates were pulled down, under disgrace of the town, as a punishment to the city for disloyalty of the inhabitants to their Monarch Charles 1.
Charles meant to reside in Coventry for some time, he desired quarters for his forces in and about the place. the mayor and the aldermen offered to receive the king, but refused to have his forces in the city.
His Majesty attacked the city, forced open one of the gates, but was driven back by the valour of the citizens, and obliged to retire, but this had happened before.
In the 15th century the great Earl of Warwick, armed it against Edward 1V in 1470 when he tried to enter the gate on the side of Gosford green. So he deprived them of their privileges, and made them pay 500 marks.
Before the building of the walls, there had been from very early times, a castle on the south side of the town in Cheylsemore park, and after time it fell to the Earl of Chester and was vested in the royalty.
Blitzkid

Return to Local History