Two Coventry neighbourhoods put forward as 'conservation areas'

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Two Coventry neighbourhoods put forward as 'conservation areas'

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 am

People can have their say in consultations which will start this week

Consultation plans are being launched to seek the views of Coventry people about recognising the importance of two neighbourhoods in the city. Earlsdon and part of Brownshill Green are to be put forward as conservation areas due to the high proportion of heritage buildings and sites

Coventry already has 16 designated conservation areas including Far Gosford Street, Naus Mill and Stoke Green. Heritage officers have drawn up proposals for parts of Earlsdon and Brownshill Green as they have been described as areas of architectural and historical interest.

Residents can get involved in consultations which will start this week. If there is public support for the plans, then it would help put greater protections on heritage in the two neighbourhoods.

It would also mean more stringent planning policies with many new applications for changes to the environment or buildings to be considered by planning committees. Councillor David Welsh, cabinet member for housing and communities, said: “I brought forward these plans because we should be doing all we can to value the heritage and characteristics of buildings and sites that have stood the test of time. If local people support our proposal this would mean ensuring that any developments are sensitive to the history of those areas.

“It’s about putting procedures in place so that the planning committee and the public can help shape the future look and feel of the neighbourhoods that preserve or enhance the character of the buildings as a whole.”

Earlsdon councillor Kindy Sandhu said: “As a local councillor in Earlsdon I support this proposal and I know that many residents will too. We want to retain the good community relations in the area, and I’m sure conservation status will have a positive impact.

“It will mean more consideration when new developments are being considered. The area is full of historical gems, and these should be recognised.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Two Coventry neighbourhoods put forward as 'conservation areas'

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:41 am

"Conservation Area" is a contradiction in terms where Coventry City Council is concerned.

Just look at the mess they made of Spon End and Craven Street. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History