Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Wrestling at the Matrix Hall...

Postby dutchman » Sun May 17, 2020 8:22 pm

How many of these can you remember?

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Wrestling at the Matrix Hall...

Postby dutchman » Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 pm

'Masambula' was a Yorkshireman (Matthew Jeng) of West-Indian origin. If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) he used to scatter 'magic dust' over his opponent while "I Put a Spell On You" was played over the loudspeaker system.

Also didn't think Al Hayes was a heavyweight as he relied more on skill than strength to defeat his opponents.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 am

Big daddy slammed his opponent to the Canvas, dropped on him crucifix style, not only was his shoulders pinned the poor guy was dead. Big Daddy was never the same after. ---------Spencer Churchill was a mr universe man, could never win a competition because of Curvature of the spine so turned pro wrestler. But the greatest wrestler you know, is Joe Robinson he offered a £500 prize to anyone that could beat him. He had a gym in Trafalgar square London, (thats were I met him) You remember the guy in the lift in 'Diamonds are Forever that fought Connery that was Joe. He made the film 'the kid with two farthings' he also watched my son ( pro boxer, Kick-boxer, ref ) a few times.
Coventry was littered with famous sportsmen. 1950's I know hundreds of sporting tales. can I tell them Dutchman?
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:41 pm

Blitzkid wrote:1950's I know hundreds of sporting tales. can I tell them Dutchman?

You can't give us a horse like that and not let us ride it, Blitzkid. :lol: Get your fingers to the keyboard, especially where there are Coventry connections.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:59 pm

Blitzkid wrote:1950's I know hundreds of sporting tales. can I tell them Dutchman?

Yes, please do! :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:01 pm

In July1951 the Opera House* Coventry was showing the full length fight of Randy Turpins win over Sugar ray, the upset of the boxing world, just two days after the event, I went along, I just had to see this, there were only about a dozen people in the place, I took a seat in the middle of an empty row when the lights went down a usherette showed a man in dark glasses and bowler hat to the row in front of me, the fight started, about the second round at a point I whispered watch is head, the guy half turned round as the boxers clinched a little later I whispered Body punch, the guy again half turned again, as randy slammed a left hand to Sugars Ribs, after that I kept quiet. the lights went up, every one started to leave, the guy donned shades bowler hat and waited for the crowd to leave, he turned, I said hello, Randolf he smiled, I said I used to spar with Les Allen which was a bit misgiving for that was when I was 14 years of age. but we had a long chat.

Henry Cooper was driving to his title fight for the british Heavyweight title, his brother sat at his side, they must have done something wrong for when they stopped at the red lights a little weedy man of about ten stone wrapped on Henry's driving window waving his fists in a threatening fashion, it was a laugh.
Henry met a red headed man in the middle of the ring in one fight, went back to his corner, turned and the opponent was bald, caught Henry with a good half-punch before Henry had his wits about him. More later.

*The Opera House was the name of a cinema in Hales Street where the row of modern shops is today. [Dutchman]
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:49 pm

Blitzkid, IIRC, Les Allen was a Longford lad and owned the skating rink?
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:35 pm

REBBONK
LES ALLEN was born in Blackhorse Road, a good mile from Longford, at 13 I would cycle with him to The top of the trams Bedworth to Montgummerys boxing stable (gym.) I hated the rules, (theres a lot more to this)

late 1950's, a friendly group met in the queue at the cinema on Sundays, but look at the list
Phil Judd--(rugby) Graham Symonds (swimmer)Graham Pugh ( water polo) Jimmy Lynas (boxer) Leon Cuppola (Body builder) Jimmy Mantle (b Builder) Roger Watkins (Diver) ( And others I forget the names0 all non-smokers.

I think it was Ascot, it had been raining heavy for sometime there was a danger of it being cancelled, but the next morning the sun came out, there was a great pool of water in front of the stands and you could;t walk round it (Fences) a young man picked up his female companion in his arms and waded through, the crowd went wild, cheering, clapping whistleing, the next day the photo was front page news, he must have groaned. He was a Longford man I knew well, but that was not his wife.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:12 pm

Blitzkid, please keep these stories coming. :thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:12 pm

Blitzkid wrote:He was a Longford man I knew well, but that was not his wife.

:hysterical:
dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Local History