Mystery as 60 peculiar cubes with inscriptions pulled from Coventry river

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Mystery as 60 peculiar cubes with inscriptions pulled from Coventry river

Postby dutchman » Tue May 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Riddle after magnet fisherman finds vast amount of engraved lead squares at secluded stretch of river

A magnet fisherman out with his two young sons at a river in Coventry reeled in almost 60 mysterious cubes thought to show a sacred numerical inscription.

Will Read found the haul of engraved lead squares – believed to be connected to a mystical Hindu prayer ritual – while out sifting through shallow water.

The faces of the objects, small enough to hold between finger and thumb, are set into neat grids with inscriptions thought to be in Sanskrit.

At first, Will, 38, from Finham, thought the cubes were just random pieces of debris littering the bottom of the River Sowe in south Coventry.

But as he and sons Jackson, five, and Benjamin, seven, took a closer look on Friday (May 8), they noticed the detailed inscriptions set onto the faces of the squares.

Will said: “We were out magnet fishing as our daily activity in lockdown and we were at a relatively isolated spot. At first we found keys and pennies and other bits and bobs and then we looked down and saw what we thought were tiles.

“I was live-streaming to friends on Facebook and I bent down and started picking them up. I also thought they might be rocks. I showed them to the camera and as I looked back more and more kept appearing.”

“There were all sorts of stories flying around at first, the cubes really captured people’s imaginations,” Will said.

“What I learned is that they are Indian in origin and they show incantations for prayers which take effect when they are thrown in running water.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Mystery as 60 peculiar cubes with inscriptions pulled from Coventry river

Postby Melisandre » Tue May 12, 2020 5:41 pm

How interesting reminded me of the Arabian squares.
Melisandre

Return to Local History