Builders unearth piece of pub history hidden in city centre for more than 60 years

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Builders unearth piece of pub history hidden in city centre for more than 60 years

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm

A sign was uncovered by workers in the city centre as they regenerate the area

An exciting discovery has been made in the middle of the Coventry city centre building works.

Earlier this week builders working to regenerate the city centre stumbled upon a key part of Coventry's history.

A tiled sign for the White Lion pub, which once stood in the Precinct, was unearthed.

It is thought to have been left there since the pub was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the Precinct.

Coventry City Council posted a photo showing workers cleaning the mosaic, and from the photo, it looks like most of the sign has been preserved quite well.

Workers could be seen brushing the mud away from the tiling to reveal the vibrant sign.

On the discovery, Councillor Jim O’Boyle, Cabinet Member for Jobs and Regeneration, said: "Officers are currently working to see if we can lift the mosaic in one piece, and if we can, we want to incorporate it in some way as part of the final design for the Upper Precinct.

"I keep saying we want to make the best of the old and the best of the new – and this is it in action!"

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Builders unearth piece of pub history hidden in city centre for more than 60 years

Postby dutchman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:50 am

Original 19th Century cobbled street uncovered

Parts of original 19th Century cobbled paving that used to form a Coventry street have been uncovered by workers.

Council contractors discovered the cobbles, from Smithford Street, below the current flooring in the Upper Precinct this week.

The cobbles are thought to date to between the 1850s to 1900. It is the second historical find hidden underneath Upper Precinct in recent months after workers stumbled upon a tiled mosaic from the old White Lion pub in March, which is believed to be around 150 years old.

Patricia Hetherton, cabinet member for city services, said it was really special to uncover "another piece of the city’s history – especially one that pre-dates the Blitz bombings".

The paving will move to a new, as of yet undecided, home.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Builders unearth piece of pub history hidden in city centre for more than 60 years

Postby dutchman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 am

It's not that surprising, given the haste with which the city's heritage was buried during the reconstruction. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:56 pm

You will find the same are under Cross Cheaping The Burges Hales Street and Trinity Street there use to be cobbles on the cut through from The Burges to Trinity St by Victoriana not sure if they are still there its been so long since I went into the town.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Tram lines too I believe! :shock:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm almost certain that the tramlines are still under the tarmac. I vaguely remember seeing some in the 60s.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Just below the surface of Albany Road there's a huge concrete box which I suspect may have been a wartime air-raid shelter for college students. I spotted it during the last resurfacing project. The tarmac is extremely shallow over that section of the road.
dutchman
Site Admin

History of the White Lion Hotel, Smithford Street, Coventry

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am

In 1940 I was a young boy living in Coventry. I'm keen to speak to anyone who may remember the above building which was badly damaged during the Blitz. Any stories, memories and especially photos would be much appreciated. Many thanks Blitz kid.
Blitzkid

Re: History of the White Lion Hotel, Smithford |Street, |Covent

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:09 am

Hi Blitzkid and :welwave: to the forum.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: History of the White Lion Hotel, Smithford |Street, |Covent

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:23 pm

The White Lion hotel opened it's extension and restaurant and function room in 1934 it ran until 1940 when it was severely damaged in the blitz, it never sold another hot meal again.
see M.D.T Nov 18th 1940, was not praised by city council for any kind of help for hot meals.
Blitzkid

Next

Return to Local History