"Injured victims attended to by ambulance and rescue workers after an enemy air raid on the city"

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

"Injured victims attended to by ambulance and rescue workers after an enemy air raid on the city"

Postby dutchman » Sun May 12, 2019 3:30 am

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... s-16256961

I'm pretty sure that's a civil defence exercise? For one thing no one is carrying a gas mask (a criminal offence in wartime). Also the ambulance has a Birmingham registration plate.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Injured victims attended to by ambulance and rescue workers after an enemy air raid on the city"

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 am

The only thing ever correct with the CT is the price printed on the front page. Everything else must be independently verified.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: "Injured victims attended to by ambulance and rescue workers after an enemy air raid on the city"

Postby Jock Strapp » Sun May 12, 2019 11:03 am

I was born 1933 and remember the war vey well.I remember two men visiting our house to fit us all with gas masks,every house had these visitors. I was fitted and the smell of rubber and the tightness was not to my liking and never wore it again. Although it may have been an offence not to carry ones mask I don't remember anyone doing so.Each mask came in a cardboard box with a piece of string to hang the box around the neck.During the 'Phony war' we used the boxes to carry our lunch to school and the masks were left at home.The boxes were not very robust so didn't last very long.No one ever carried these masks around with them,
Jock Strapp

Return to Local History