Memories of Coventry's Regent Rollerdrome in Earlsdon

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Memories of Coventry's Regent Rollerdrome in Earlsdon

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Bill Dunn of the Earlsdon Research Group has sent us this 1930s picture of a Coventry roller skating rink

BILL DUNN of the Earlsdon Research Group has sent us this 1930s picture of a Coventry roller skating rink.

He says: “The photo is of the Regent Rollerdrome which used to stand in Albany Road, Earlsdon.

“I believe that by the Second World War it had become Neale’s Ballroom and I happen to have a copy of a programme, unfortunately without a year, of Star Band Attractions.

“The main item is the presentation, by the Coventry Swaging Co Ltd Forces Fund, of Billy Ternent and His Band. I’m sure that older readers will know that name.

“Other bandleaders mentioned include Eric Winstone, Lew Stone, Carl Barriteau, Leslie Hutchinson, George Elrick, Harry Parry, and Felix Mendelssohn.”

“The ballroom was eventually destroyed by fire.

“I’m hoping that someone will know when that happened.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Memories of Coventry's Regent Rollerdrome in Earlsdon

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:21 pm

It was never in 'Albany Road' despite what it says on the postcard. It was behind the row of shops in Broomfield Road. Access was from the alleyway which ran alongside the railway ("Broomfield Mews"). It eventually became Neale's Engineering Works.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History