Bedford Street flats

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Bedford Street flats

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 am

Mr Dutchman,sir. I am wondering if you know anything about a large house that was behind houses in Bedford St/Rd off Albany Rd.I am asking because one of my sons has bought a flat there for investment. Been many years since I was there but I am sure that there was derelict house in that location. Everyone is saying that I am mistaken, perhaps I am????

Jock Strapp

Re: Bedford Street flats

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 pm

There was previously a gap between Nos. 12 and 17 and a large building behind them next to the railway line. At different times it was a watch factory, engineering workshop and by the 1950s had become a garage. It predates all the houses in the area and at one time stood in total isolation.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks for reply. It was the sort of place that could have been driven past without noticing it. After dropping my wife off at the hairdressers in Broomfield Rd I would go round the block there to turn round and had noticed the building. Its a shame that another part of the old Coventry is no more.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:05 pm

This is the earliest aerial view I could find from 1920. It was offically The Captain Motor Rim Company (detachable rim makers) but to me looks more like an L-shaped row of terraced houses, presumably the erstwhile Nos.13-16:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks. Yes it does look like an L shaped block of houses, that is almost how I remember it. On the other hand it did have the appearance of a small industrial premises. Those three floored houses in your picture reminded me of the house In Leigh St that we rented when I first got married. That house had a window that filled the outside wall so plenty of light but very cold in winter. On the other walls there were benches fixed to the walls, I have no idea of the original purpose. I bolted my small Myford lathe to one bench and spent many hours ruining bits of wood and brass. Happy days.
Jock Strapp

Return to Local History