The post-war photography of Richard Sadler...

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: The post-war photography of Richard Sadler...

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:46 am

Yes but how do old pensioners get to the bus stops, from the precinct, within two years of the precinct opening British Home stores, Woolworths were all claiming they had lost a third of their business, Old people could not walk from bus stops, down the precinct and back, especially ex=wounded soldiers that had just returned from the war, and I knew a good many that complained at Old Comrade ass.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:42 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Dutchman,
That little carpet shop in Lower Ford street, my boss sent me to pick up a carpet from there.

I'm glad someone else remembers it! :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:50 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Yes but how do old pensioners get to the bus stops, from the precinct, within two years of the precinct opening British Home stores, Woolworths were all claiming they had lost a third of their business, Old people could not walk from bus stops, down the precinct and back, especially ex=wounded soldiers that had just returned from the war, and I knew a good many that complained at Old Comrade ass.

That's a good point! :thumbsup:

Also when they built the Ring Road it blocked-off a major bus route from Spon End into town. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:04 pm

This picture by Sadler - intended to show people marvelling at new plans for the city centre - inadvertently shows just how much damage was done to Lloyds Bank on the right. It looks as if the whole interior was gutted by fire.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Celebrated Coventry photographer remembered

An exhibition showing some of the early work of an influential post-war photographer has been opened.

Richard Sadler documented life in and around Coventry for more than 60 years, before his death in 2020.

Early success came as a commercial photographer, hired by major businesses in the city including Wimpey, Jaguar, Courtaulds and the Belgrade Theatre, some of which feature in the exhibition.

"It's nice for my sister and I to share these images," said his daughter Jane Donovan.

"They're some of our favourites from his work."

Born in Hillfields in 1928 he took up photography when he was about 16, joining the Coventry Photographic Society, explained Ms Donovan.

He eventually set himself up in business with a studio doing the photography for local industries before joining the Belgrade Theatre the year it opened in 1958.

"He amassed an enormous amount of commercial work which, when he died, my sister, Kate and I had to curate and decide what to do with," she said.

"We have done an enormous amount of sorting and the majority of it has been given to the Herbert Art Gallery archive," she added.

Work to identify a lot of the imagry in the collection had been "difficult," she explained.

"My dad's system of recording jobs and things was quite eclectic so we had a bit of difficulty trying to sort out what was what and relevant."

The exhibition runs until February 2023 at Commonground, Fargo Village in Coventry.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:29 am

Martins bank was the fourth building in High Street before the blitz, it then became on the corner when the temporary shops went up, I thought it remained Martins bank?
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:11 pm

What a pity that he did not view the art gallery in the white lion hotel 1942, now that did show what we all wanted from Coventry after the Blitz.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:38 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Martins bank was the fourth building in High Street before the Blitz, it then became on the corner when the temporary shops went up, I thought it remained Martins bank?

It did, Lloyds is to the extreme right of it in that view.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:46 am

Dutchman, by 1960 there must have been scores of photo clubs in Cov. the Carbodies factory had a good one and a girl out of their 'trim' dept was their model, when I met her for a drink she was wearing clothes.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 am

The photographs in the MDT book Cov blitz, taken on the night of the blitz had to wait 8 years before they could be published.
Blitzkid

Previous

Return to Local History