Li'll old law breaker me.

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Li'll old law breaker me.

Postby Jock Strapp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm

During the late 40s early 50s I would buy ex military electronics. One such outlet was a small shop at the foot of the New Inn Bridge close to the Gas Works entrance. Had several interesting finds in there including an ex army walky talky. By todays standards it was huge and was fitted with straps so that it could be carried on ones back. All rather pointless without someone with a similar pack to communicate with.
Every Saturday I went to an auction in town where I once bought a large transmitter / receiver. I later fell foul of the law for operating an illegal transmitter. I was hauled before the court and fined 30 shillings, but they forgot to confiscate my transmitter :smile: .
A few weeks later I was up and running again with a fresh illegal CQ (seek you) number.and made contact with like minded people as far away as Italy, Norway and Spain. After another warning I decided to go legal and obtained my HAM licence.
The point of my ramblings is this. The auction was held,I think, In a car repair workshop on the corner of White St almost opposite the entrance to the Swanswell. I think it may have shared its name with a pub' The Three Tuns. Could anyone confirm that was where the Saturday auctions were held?
Jock Strapp

Re: Li'll old law breaker me.

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Jock Strapp wrote:The auction was held,I think, In a car repair workshop on the corner of White St almost opposite the entrance to the Swanswell. I think it may have shared its name with a pub' The Three Tuns.

Indeed it did Jock, it was called the Three Tuns Garage and was originally located in Warwick Row behind the pub of the same name.

Can't help you with the auctions query I'm afraid.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks Dutchman. I suppose that the garage decamped and relocated in White St.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm

All I can say Jock from an ex am C B 'er CQ CQ CQ D EX 10, 10 brake a brake 321 I'm down and gone its Picktywitch that on the side I 'm going down and satisfied with my mic in my pocket I m off like a rocket whoosh I 'm down and gone . :smile:
Melisandre

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Breaker 1 9. Got yer ears on good buddy. That's all CB jargon and although good in its day it didn't last very long and its a whole world away from Ham radio . I think the government changed the CB rules to frequency modulation and that was the end of CB radio.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 pm

No it did nt last long but I thought even back then when in my 20s it would be great for oap s who are on their own for them to have some one to chat to. Yes I knew a ham operator who said it was better than a cb his handle was Little Weed . . another was called Mutley.
Melisandre

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 pm

I was a breaker when I was stationed in Portsmouth, my handle was Rasputin. I also used a CB radio back here in Coventry. I recall a lady breaker who lived in Longford and daily chatted to truckers on the motorway, was that you Melisandre? I think CBs would still be in use today if the government hadn't changed the use of the carrier wave.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Ahrr I do you recall Rasputin when you were on Coventry CB did you know Shadowman , Warpig Cab 1, Coventry station taxi driver or Jaguar managing director of Jag , FX4 taxi driver and his son French Connection lorry driver from Holbrooks , or Quo , Gummy Timmy Barr The Bish John Barr my brother in laws from Courthouse Green Big bad Bee Pete or Lane changer, Love Pup Dave Greer also from that area or Sandman the Hypnotist , Skip Chainnsaw Gaz Tully he collected vintage cars . Pot Black professional snooker player Cat Woman she worked at Livingstone Rd baths as a life guard or Taxi cab Simon he is on HCF now under a different name he is a professor in the university in South Korea Lady Di Lady Renegade Comedian now lives on Fiillongly cross Rds or Night Queen and Tyre Fitter Asprin and Rene Trouble Shooter Brake a leg from Wood End .

Yes I use to talk to the truckers from all over but I lived in Keresley Green then not Longford .

Yes I to think it would still be going if they had nt altered the wave length Jock
Last edited by Melisandre on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melisandre

Postby 20A-Manor House » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Melisandre, you mentioned my brother in the post above "Gaz Tully" aka "Chainsaw".
I still have my badges.
20A-Manor House

Postby Melisandre » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Wow a collection there so you remember Jack handle Mutley in Masser Rd to then haha I gave my badge Picktywitch to my youngest grandaughter so which brother are you. I ve never forget the wind up your Gaz played on Jack with the wheel of his bike attached to the cb ariel in your back garden so Mutely thought he was getting closer to your Gaz when Mutely was looking for him as he could nt hear me because Gaz was wiping his signal out so Gaz told him to cut his cb ariel he would then be able to hear me better so Jack did just that :hysterical: how is Gaz he use to come to my house and one of his other brother aka Bean Pole. I ve just noticed looking at your badges again yes I remember you A .Jax.
Last edited by Melisandre on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Melisandre

Next

Return to Local History