A look at what happened to some of our cinemas

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

A look at what happened to some of our cinemas

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:05 am

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: A look at what happened to some of our cinemas

Postby pollyanna » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 am

That was really interesting Rebbonk. I remember the Lyric well - saw my first film there - Rock around the Clock with Bill Hayley.
My Uncle worked at the Alexandra cinema as a projectionist but most of the films shown there were of an adult content I believe.
I used to attend a ballroom dance class in a large room above The Gaumont.

Most of the buildings are so elegant - such a shame that some of them are in disrepair.

I don't remember the one near Livingstone Road?? I presume it was on Foleshill Road.

The link was very interesting and I see it was started by our very own Larry.
pollyanna

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:11 pm

I was already familiar with the website but thanks for posting it here anyway Rebbonk :thumbsup:

pollyanna wrote:That was really interesting Rebbonk. I remember the Lyric well - saw my first film there - Rock around the Clock with Bill Hayley.
My Uncle worked at the Alexandra cinema as a projectionist but most of the films shown there were of an adult content I believe.
That's fascinating Polly. It was all kid's films when we used it. In later years they ran a cheap horror double-bill at weekends which I'm told was very popular with students from the nearby Polytechnic. Contrary to what was suggested in the article, no Coventry cinema at the time was equipped with CinemaScope. What some had was Panavision which is a sort of "poor man's CinemaScope" which can be projected onto any existing flat screen.

pollyanna wrote:I used to attend a ballroom dance class in a large room above The Gaumont.
Remember it weel Polly although I never saw inside. The whole building was a dance hall and restaurant complex at one time called the Colloseum. I lived only a few doors away from the Gaumont so regarded it as my ''local' cinema. Even had a free pass in return for displaying their posters! :D

pollyanna wrote:The link was very interesting and I see it was started by our very own Larry.
Yes indeed polly and it reminded me of the long conversations we used to have on icCoventry and will have no more :cry:

There's a book on the subject in the local library. When I say 'book' Polly it's one of those early home-made photcopy type paperbacks and bears an incredible similarity to a video review magazine I used to publish at the time. Whether the author ever read my magazine I couldn't say and it could be just sheer coincidence.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby pollyanna » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Dutchy - thanks for that.

From what I can remember being told as a child, I believe there were certain goings on in the projection room at The Alexander - my Uncle was a bit of a one with the ladies I understand :shock:

I guess I was early teens when I I went to the dance classes, so I'm talking about 50 yrs. ago possibly :?
Great that you had a free pass. You sound as tho you were a bit of an entrepeneur :thumbsup:

Yes - there were some good conversations on icCov. Larry always had something interesting to say. I hope he got to finish his memoirs :(
pollyanna

Postby Midland Red » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

pollyanna wrote:I don't remember the one near Livingstone Road?? I presume it was on Foleshill Road.

Yes, the legend above the photograph should read 511 Foleshill Road, not Stoney Stanton Road
Midland Red

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Few were built as cinemas, they often had other uses before being converted to show films. Some were originally music halls, others (I think) were Baptist chapels. The Gaumont extension to the Colloseum was built as a theatre with stage, orchestra pit and private viewing boxes but never used as such. According to the page reproduced below the Alexandra/Theatre One was originally a coffe tavern!

I'm totally baffled by the reference to a cinema (New Imperial) "in the short street between Highland [Road] and Coniston [Road]"? There is nothing I can see in that area that could ever have been used as a cinema and even if there were why name it the same as a cinema only a very short distance away? :?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:43 am

This page is taken from the same website as the first page posted in this thread by Rebbonk. In case of any confusion, the Royal was built alongside the Opera House in Hales Street but abandoned in 1930 ten years before the latter began showing films.

http://www.mcsparron.talktalk.net/cinemas.htm
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:36 am

Forum Cinema, Walsgrave Road, Coventry

Just like many other cities Coventry has lost many of its fine old cinemas that enjoyed their heyday during the golden age of the movies.

Some have lived on and been given alternative uses - anything from bingo halls to music venues - but the Forum in Walsgrave Road is one that did not survive sadly.

Located at the corner of Walsgrave Road and Longfellow Road in the Stoke area the Forum opened on November 1 1934 with Richard Tauber in Blossom Time and popular film star of the day Gene Gerard appeared in person.

It was a large suburban ‘super’ cinema, built by the local Philpot circuit and designed by their in-house architect TD Griffiths.

It was closed temporarily on November 14 1940 when power was lost during heavy German bombing raids but it was not damaged. The electric power supply was restored in the first week of December 1940.

The Forum closed in May 1962. The final film to be shown was Lover Come Back starring Doris Day.

It was demolished soon after and a bowling alley and shops were built on the site, though the bowling alley has since closed too and was taken over by a church.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:49 am

I very vaguely remember the forum. I think I went there once as a nipper.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Next

Return to Local History