Dennis Spicer

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Dennis Spicer

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 am

Found this and thought it might bring back a few memories

Dennis Spicer - born 1936 in Coventry. Famous for his ventriloquist act in the 1960s. His first ventriloquist dummy was called Jimmy Green, but he later changed the name to James Green when he got a new doll. Died in car crash on the A1, near RAF Wittering, just outside Stanford, Lincolnshire, on his way back from the Royal Command Performance on the 15th November 1964. When police arrived at the scene of the crash they found what they believed to be a baby's shoe, so they made the priority the search for a baby rather than focusing on freeing Spicer. They later discovered that the shoe actually belonged to his ventriloquist dummy and it is believed that had they not been searching for a non-existent baby, then they could have saved Spicer. He played in more than one Royal Variety Show and also appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, which then had the largest viewing audience in the USA.(http://www.activcoventry.com/Community/ ... S-561.html)

The only vid I could find

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Dennis Spicer

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Fascinating Rebbonk :thumbsup:

Must admit I don't remember him at all which is odd as he was very good? :?
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Dennis Spicer

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:28 pm

I remember him from when I was a kid, he was really very good. I believe his mother is still alive.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Local History