Mystery unravelled of whether Exhall is in Coventry or Bedworth

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Mystery unravelled of whether Exhall is in Coventry or Bedworth

Postby dutchman » Sun May 14, 2017 6:36 pm

We delve into the history of the address

Lying on the border, depending on who you ask, you might be told that Exhall is in one of two places.

Some will say it is definitely in Bedworth whereas others may claim it’s in Coventry.

But where exactly is it?

Now, Exhall falls under the borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth and the county of Warwickshire, and like Bedworth, it falls under the parliamentary constituency of North Warwickshire. but it hasn’t always been that way.

Once upon a time, Exhall was a parish in the Foleshill district and considered part of Coventry.

In 1928 and 1932, boundaries were moved around and Exhall was moved to Bedworth.

Parts of the ancient parish of Foleshill were exchanged for parts of Exhall in 1885, and about 553 acres became part of Coventry County Borough in 1899.

In 1928 an area of 1,279 acres, and in 1932 a further area of 479 acres, were included in Coventry.

The remaining 373 acres were then included in Bedworth civil parish and Urban District. Foleshill Union, which comprised Foleshill and ten (later eleven) other parishes, was created in 1836, and later became the area of Foleshill Rural District.

The Rural District was extinguished in 1932.

Parts of Exhall were amalgamated with Foleshill in 1885 whilst with the Coventry Extension Act of 1931 part of it was included in the City and County Borough of Coventry before it was transferred in 1932 to the parish of Bedworth.

Vince Taylor, of the Bedworth Society, has explained how Exhall’s location can sometimes be a contentious issue.

He said: “Where the confusion really lies comes by the Bayton Road industrial estate because their address is Coventry.

“This can be rather confusing because Bayton Road is actually Bedworth and it happened with the Olympic Torches because they were made there.

“People kept saying they were made in Coventry and people in Bedworth found that frustrating.

“It’s quite confusing.”

Although it’s a confusing issue, Mr Taylor says that at the end of the day it doesn’t matter too much if people think it’s in Bedworth or Coventry.

He added: “It’s a funny one, Exhall is in Bedworth but most of the time it doesn’t matter.”

For more information on the Bedworth Society, which has a lot of information on the history of Exhall, go to http://www.bedworth-society.co.uk

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Mystery unravelled of whether Exhall is in Coventry or Bedworth

Postby Melisandre » Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 pm

I always told Bedworth starts at the Black Bank pub on opposite side of the Black Bank pub is an old mile stone.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Interesting Melisandre, I was always told that the iron bridge marked the boundary. - I think there's a boundary marker there. As a kid I remember that you had to pay extra on the buses to go past the bridge as it was classed as being out of the city boundary.

Just to muddy the water, there's an iron marker on Wilson's lane (almost opposite Woodshires Rd) that also purports to be a boundary marker.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes I recall the same the Iron bridge was the boundry line and bus fare you had to pay extra when I use to catch the bus to Bedworth to meet my boyfriend now ex husband but the past year or so ago I ve heard Bedworth people say Bedworth started at the Black Bank .

As of Wilsons Lane yes there would be as that in years gone by was the main road to Bedworth .
Melisandre

Return to Local History