After 110 years, it's last orders for landmark Coventry pub The Albany

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

After 110 years, it's last orders for landmark Coventry pub The Albany

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 am

One of Coventry’s landmark pubs is to close 110 years after it was built.

The Albany pub in Earlsdon is one of the birthplaces of Ska and Two Tone music, but will shut its doors in just over two weeks because the lease is up.

It will also be the end of an era for landlady Lizzi Maxsted, who landed her very first job at The Albany 40 years ago at the tender age of 16.

Lizzi said she isn’t sure about how she will feel when she calls last orders for the final time on Saturday March 18.

She said: “I’ve known for quite a while I would have to shut the pub and now it seems to have sunk in, but I’m not sure how I will feel when I close the doors for the final time.

“I got my first job here when I was 16 and now 40 years later I’m landlady.

“I feel proud that I’ve brought it up from being in a negative state to making some money.

“It needs a lot of working doing to it, but the people who next own the building can make it work, it just needs time and care.

“But because the lease is up, I don’t think it will be a pub for much longer.

“We will be holding a special three-day festival with lots of music, comedy and entertainment.

“Here at The Albany, we have a night of music and entertainment every Saturday night, but we just aren’t pulling in regular custom.

“I knew when I took on the pub around three years ago that I would only have a contract for three and a half years, but now it’s time to close, it’s really sad.

“We don’t sell food here and I think that would boost custom, but it has to come to an end.

“It will be the end of an era for me and the pub.”

Lizzi is a live-in landlady, but has managed to find herself somewhere to stay when she leaves the pub.

She added: “I’m renting a room at my son’s house and then after that I will go and live in Spain for a few months.

“It’s been great running the pub I got my first job in, but it will be sad to leave.

“Who knows what will happen to it next.”

A Marston’s spokesperson said: "Our lease at The Albany has come to an end and after many years we would like thank the community and our customers for their ongoing support.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: After 110 years, it's last orders for landmark Coventry pub The Albany

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:01 am

The sign outside the pub features a portrait of the DUKE of Albany when the pub was in fact named after his widow the DUCHESS of Albany! :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Historic Albany Pub in Earlsdon could reopen after being put on the market

A historic city pub that was one of the birthplaces of ska and two-tone could reopen after being put back on the market.

The Albany Pub in Earlsdon called last orders in March after Marston’s Brewery’s lease on the property ran out.

This week the popular watering hole was put back on the market to let at the price of £40,000 per year.

According to estate agents Loveitts, the pub is “ready for immediate occupation”, including the three bedroom family living accommodation above the bar.

The pub, which has a lounge bar and a saloon bar, is being let free of any ties as a freehouse and the new tenants would have to apply for their own premises licence.

Loveitts hope the roadside position of the property will make it attractive to any potential occupiers as “its roadside location ensures excellent levels of passing footfall in what is also a busy student area”.

The property is currently owned by the Trustees of the Coventry Freemen’s Charity.

Cllr Bally Singh (Lab, Whoberley) told the Telegraph that he was please the charity were trying to restore the pub, rather than selling it on to a developer.

He said: “It’s very reassuring that the Trustees of the Coventry Freemen’s Charity want to save the Albany pub.

“I hope there is enough interest in the market to fully bring out its vibrant potential, so that it can keep going for another 100 years at the heart of the local Hearsall community.”

Before news broke that the pub was to be re-let, local residents began petitioning for the building to be listed as a community value.

This means that it could give the community a right to bid if the building is under threat and give it some local planning protection.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Historic 2-Tone pub gets protection from insensitive development

A landmark Coventry pub which was one of the birthplaces of Ska and 2-Tone will be added to a local list of historic gems.

The Albany, in Earlsdon, was built 110 years ago and was recommended for local listing as a “good surviving example” of an early 20th century pub.

City planning bosses have now approved the bid which will give the site some protection in future planning decisions.

A locally listed heritage asset is a building, structure or feature, which is not listed by the Government, but that the council believes is an important part of the city’s heritage.

Historic Albany Pub in Earlsdon could reopen after being put on the market

The conservation and contribution of locally listed heritage assets are a material consideration in planning decisions that directly affect them or their setting.

Specials legends Neville Staple and Roddy Byers previously spoke about the need to stop the pub being converted into offices or accommodation.

Neville said: “I have fond memories of the place.

“Our 2Tone Office at Jerry’s (Specials founder Jerry Dammers) was across the road and I lived a few doors away.

“It was a regular haunt for us and has great music history attached.”

And Roddy added: “It has been the source of some great local music, especially from up and coming bands.

“It’s a great live venue and I hope it will continue to be one - I’d hate to see it knocked into an office or accommodation.

“There are not many places that still does live music, and this is one venue that does.

“There will soon be no live music venues left which support the new up and coming music.

“There are people willing to see the bands perform, but there isn’t enough venues to cater for them.

“We spent a lot of time in there over the years, when we were at the Two Tone office, and it will be sadly missed.

“I just hope it stays as somewhere people can go and eat, drink and h ave that live venue to go to.”

The campaign to achieve listed status was led by Hearsall and Earlsdon Residents’ Association (HERA), the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) and local councillor Bally Singh.

The pub, which is owned by trustees of the Coventry Freemen’s Charity, was recommended for the local list thanks to its history, architecture and role in the community.

The Albany was built in 1907 as a hotel with five guest rooms and a club room on the first floor.

There was also a billiard room, coffee room, bar, lounge and smoke room on the ground floor.

It is typical of the commercial premises that were built in the Edwardian development of Earlsdon.

It is built of red brick with extensive and finely worked stone windows and door surrounds.

The bar is original, and many of the interior features date to the original build. It is a significant survival of an Edwardian public house with ornate detailing.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:16 am

Over a century old, the landmark Albany will welcome customers once again

A landmark Earlsdon pub once frequented by The Specials is set to re-open after an extensive modernisation.

The Albany, at the corner of Albany Road and Broomfield Road, is due to open on Friday, November 23, after it was closed by the brewery Marstons in 2017.

The freehold has been snapped up by the new managers of the Albany, Chris Murphy and Joe Haggarty, who have a passion for revitalising premises.

The pair have put £80,000 into making the pub a classy modern venue.

Chris told CoventryLive: "It used to be all traditional cask ales, so we're getting new pumps in for those.

"At the moment we are getting it set up as a classic bar, and we have a new wine menu.

"Being part of Earlsdon, there's been an outcry for the Albany to be redeveloped.

"The building is locally listed, so we haven't changed too much on the outside but we've given it an updated twist inside.

"I've done a few property transformations and Joe has run bars around town, so we are really excited to welcome people back."

The renovation work has attracted attention over the past month, and with its opening they are hoping the buzz will continue.

Inside, a new bar has been installed, with a rustic timber backdrop, the furniture is all new and the bathrooms have been replaced.

For musical events there is a quality sound-system, and sports fixtures will be shown from BT Sport and Sky.

The plan is to offer Earlsdon and the Butts an ideal venue for the party season, with lager from £3.30 a pint.

Chris added: "We have some nice features in here, like when a band is on it will be beamed around the bar on the televisions.

"With the music, we've got set a U2 tribute, a Queen tribute and on New Year's Eve there will be an eight piece ska band."

The building is owned by the Trustees of the Coventry Freemen’s Charity, who were keen to see the Albany stay as a pub.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History