A few pictures from the 50s and 60s

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: A few pictures from the 50s and 60s

Postby Midland Red » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 am

Here's a scan of a slide taken from the tower of the Old Cathedral in 1962 - it's probably now more interesting for what's beyond the New Cathedral

MR
http://coventryinphotographs.fotopic.net/
Midland Red

Postby pollyanna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Great pic MR !!
pollyanna

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Midland Red wrote:Here's a scan of a slide taken from the tower of the Old Cathedral in 1962 - it's probably now more interesting for what's beyond the New Cathedral
Indeed it is MR as it's all gone now! Couldn't help noticing a "Stratford Blue" in the MIdland Red bus park, they often stood-in on services when there was shortage of buses.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Midland Red » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

flapdoodle wrote:That's an excellent picture, MR. What's the large red brick building on the corner in the distance? Is that the hotel that was built in anticipation of the railway passing through that area?

Thanks
Not sure which building you mean, and I don't have any recollection about the railway - do you have the story?
Midland Red

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 pm

flapdoodle wrote:That's an excellent picture, MR. What's the large red brick building on the corner in the distance? Is that the hotel that was built in anticipation of the railway passing through that area?
No new hotel was built, it was planned to use an existing one (The King's Head) in Hertford Street. I think the building you're referring to is Wheatley Street school which was unusually decorative and caused some consternation over the expense at the time.

Midland Red wrote:Not sure which building you mean, and I don't have any recollection about the railway - do you have the story?
During the general election campaign of 1865 it was proposed that a spur from the Great Western railway be run to a new terminal staton in Pool Meadow. As soon as the election was over the whole idea was forgotten and nothing ever came of it.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:11 pm

flapdoodle wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that a hotel was called Station Hotel even though there was no station nearby. I can't remember where I read it! I might even be thinking of a different city.
There was a "Railway Hotel" at the bottom of Hertford Street by the entrance to the Bull Yard but it was better known by its completely unofficial name of "The Peeping Tom". There was no railway anywhere near Coventry when it first opened :!:
dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Local History