Images of old Bedworth

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Images of old Bedworth

Postby Melisandre » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Melisandre

Re: Old images of Bedworth

Postby rebbonk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:09 am

Plenty on there Melisandre. - Thanks :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks Rebbonk the old tram is my favourite.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:18 pm

I used to travel on the 'red 658 quite often as a nipper, but I'd forgotten that the market used to be on the main drag.

Development isn't always for the better.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:58 am

The bus stop shelters use to be by the Alms houses as I use to catch the Midland Red to by the Hub Pub through to Bedworth and the Corporation bus back.

I know a lot of the market stall holders I know would agree with you change is not always good its killed the market. They asked could they return to the street (by the Alm houses) they were refused by the council.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Another good set of pages Melisandre. :thumbsup:

My Mother comes from Nuneaton and was a regular to the Co-op hall. - She was very shocked at the New Years eve disaster.

I regularly used to travel to Nuneaton to visit my granddad until he was killed in a road accident in the early 70s.

The useful links page on there is well worth exploring. :) - Shame they don't go as far as anything to do with Bitteswell aerodrome and its history. - I worked there in the 70's and there is an absolute wealth of history in danger of being lost. Bitteswell did such a lot of jet development and installation trialling, not to mention its work with the Red Arrows and the V-force. Sadly, rather a lot of photographs and documentation were lost or destroyed when BAe left the site around '82. I'm a member of a group that has managed to unearth quite a lot, but we have a long way to go as yet.
rebbonk

Re: Images of old Bedworth

Postby Melisandre » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you Rebbonk do you mean the stampede at the Co op hall. I hope you and your mum did nt know any one that got hurt in that. My ex boyfriend did nt go that day which was unusual he was there when the Beatles were there but Paul Mc Cartney opened the door the rest of the group following my ex boyfriend was behind the door it knocked him out so he never got to see the Beatles after all . Going back to the tragedy my ex boyfriend s best friend he died it that incident on the stairs.

Trying not to go off topic Bitteswell would come under Lutterworth Leicester if you type into google Bitteswell then go to images at the top there is information also lots of old photos on there some give information when you go in to the image link. Interesting you are part of a group exploring the history of Bitteswell I wish you all well in what you find.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Melisandre wrote:Trying not to go off topic Bitteswell would come under Lutterworth Leicester if you type into google Bitteswell then go to images at the top there is information also lots of old photos on there some give information when you go in to the image link. Interesting you are part of a group exploring the history of Bitteswell I wish you all well in what you find.

Many of those pictures were provided by either myself or the wider group :thumbsup:

If you come across anything 'different', please let me know. ;)
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 am

There a good collection ther Rebbonk what you and your friends have collected so far.

Never fear I shall let you know if I find any thing that I think you have nt obtained so far.☺
Melisandre

Next

Return to Local History