Images of old Bedworth

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Images of old Bedworth

Postby Melisandre » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Jock Strapp wrote:Yes Melisandre. I well remember Bedworth in the 50s. In my opinion they took the heart and soul out of the town when it was modernised.I had several good friends in Bedworth. The image of the hat factory. Later that became Clear Hooters that made car horns, known locally as the Snuff Factory. met Larry Grayson AKA Billy Brown in a Bedworth pub, a very likable man. I don't know if he was gay or was that just a part of his act? He certainly didn't show that off stage. Slack Alice and Apricot Lill worked in the jam factory where Larry worked but I cannot recall a jam factory in Nuneaton but suppose that it must have existed.

Yes the shops were always full and none closing down like now Jock Strap back in the 60s when I use to stay with Shirley and Dave Price and their kids my mums friends in Knightsbridge Avenue.
I was reading that Bedworth went down when Nuneaton joined together and they moved people from Camp Hill into Bedworth .

The two houses with back yard sheds with little chimneys corner of Coventry Rd and Park Rd by the traffic lights they were built to house the family who owned the hat factory.

I dont know personally if Larry Grayson was gay watching a program of his life it was never mentioned but his acts later did seem very camp.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:02 pm

If you click on each picture title after the first photo it will show more photos also on the next lot that comes up and so on.
https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/catalogue_wow/bedworth-luckman-pickerings-hat-factory
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you Melisandre :thumbsup:

It includes this strange mixture of old and new:

Aerial photograph of central Bedworth. 27 April 1966

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:54 am

Clear Hooters factory at the bottom?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 pm

dutchman wrote:Thank you Melisandre :thumbsup:

Your welcome Dutchman yes as I noticed the new building where the Hit or Miss use to be at the top . It must of been when they started to do the remodernisation of the town.

https://pubhistory.co.uk/Warwickshire/B ... Miss.shtml
Melisandre

Postby Tricia » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Melisandre wrote:

:wave: Love these old images of Bedworth. We moved to Bedworth from Coventry in 1966 and never wanted to leave.
Tricia

Postby Melisandre » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:31 pm

:wave: I bet you ve seen a lot of changes over the years like me then Trica and more to come they are going to build houses on the old colliery.
Melisandre

Previous

Return to Local History