Site Admin

Re: This is Triumph [video]

Postby dutchman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:06 am

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 am

:thumbsup: Another good find.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Seen outside Morrison's this evening, a 1952 Triumph Renown Limousine. It has a glass partition between the driver and passenger compartment.

There must be a Triumph meeting in town because seen earlier outside B&Q, a Triumph 2000. It has a huge teddy bear in the back seat!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 am

I think that 2000 is a daily runner, I often see it about.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 am

I haven't seen that 2000 before but I have seen a TR sports car parked in exactly the same spot so possibly the same owner? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am

It was a Vitesse last night in the exact same spot outside B&Q, another 'daily driver'. The owner must be trading one Triumph model for another when he gets bored with them?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:03 pm

There was a well-preserved Dolomite Sprint in yesterday's Telegraph:

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:19 am

I still have a scar on my left hand where I caught it closing the boot on a Dolly Sprint. That chrome edge strip was bl**dy sharp.
rebbonk

Re: Made in Coventry...

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:43 am

REBBONK HI :wave:

Caption, need a bigger hammer happened at Leyland Canley a few times, when cars were built wrong because of error -time, they stood on the car park as "Foreigners"".

The moving track. The shell/Body was dropped from the floor above, each workman was given a time to fit the part into the car as it came along the line, at the end of the track it drove off the end off the track a fully fledged car except for paint and testing.

But all cars did not take the same time to fit parts so you had to have no two Spitfires following each other, no two left handed cars no two overdrive etc, there were many reasons, if there were a mistake, then the second had little time and in came the big hammer effect. the car shells on the floor above were from a different factory they were hoisted up to the second floor and placed on "skids" these were electrical, moved about by a giant electrical panel, a central skid track led from one end to the other, off this were parking bays of six car bodies, any one could de brought from those bays on to the main line that led to the dropping hoist controlled by a giant electrical panel. Four men placed the body shells in order to be dropped, a two typist wrote out the order and sent out to all the stores, so parts met the body shells, the typist only had to miss out the letter 'O' and the wrong parts went to the shell, or the panel man had only to place the wrong shell out of place and you had a "foreigner". For five years I worked on that panel.
Blitzkid

Next

Return to Local History