Coventry City Football Club fire 1968 [Vid]

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Coventry City Football Club fire 1968 [Vid]

Postby swanswim » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi 2 all posters,I remember the fire at highfield rd. When I was a child I lived at 38 st.nicholas st,coventry cv2 4gy by the stadium.I was 8 yrs old at the time.My brother & I used 2 watch the games standing on the shed roof r from our bedroom window.Sometimes we wer taken 2 the games. I remember the smoke & the flames coming from the stand at the end of our garden but i dont know the name of the stand that was on fire.I also remember the fire engines all over the place.Me & my friends went in2 the stadium afterwards & saw burnt socks & jerseys but we kept the good ones.I can remember someone saying it was started by a cigarette & that the cup got burnt but as a child I didnt know what that meant.I hope that this vague recollection from the memory of a young coventry lad can help someone for future research.Im living in the west of ireland now but i still have lovely memories of my home city.Incidently my friends from the street wer the blonde twins derek & david fox who had a bomb shelter in their garden,a jamaican lad called lincoln chin & a bloke called denis coleman.Another mate I had was eugene devlin from humber avenue.All great lads that I have never forgotten.A big salute 2 all who read this.
swanswim

Re: Coventry City Football Club fire 1968 [Vid]

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Hello and :welwave: to the forum Swanswim :thumbsup:

I believe it was the main stand (which was quite old and in need of replacement anyway) which burned down.

By the way, the avatar I chose for you is based on your username but you can change it to anything you like.
dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Local History