Joe Elliott returns to Elliott’s Car Accessories...

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Joe Elliott returns to Elliott’s Car Accessories...

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:17 pm

One of Coventry’s oldest and most famous firms is today back where it belongs – in the hands of its founding family.

After almost ten years away from the business, Joe Elliott has returned to the helm of one of Coventry’s best known companies Elliott’s Car Accessories.

The city’s most famous businessman devoted most of his life to the company - which began as a little sideline back in 1907.

But in 2004 Joe, who became the third generation to work at the company in 1958, made the difficult decision to step down and sold his beloved business to Birmingham-based Oscott Holdings.

“Oscott ran the business until 2010,” said Joe. “But unfortunately it didn’t go too well for them and they eventually went out of business.

“The business was then in the hands of other operators, with the last exiting about five weeks ago. When the opportunity arose for me to take back the business, I couldn’t resist.

“Since taking over the reins, I have been flooded with phone calls from suppliers asking if they can have their goods in our shop - which I think is a fantastic sign.”

For more than a century, the famed family firm in Gulson Road has been a valuable asset to Coventry after becoming the first garage in the city to sell petrol to the local gentry.

In 1910, the firm moved into the old Dog and Gun pub, where the business remained until it moved to its current base.

But it was when Joe joined the company that it branched out into car accessories – as it was the beginning of an era of motor aftercare. “During those days, the cars were incredibly basic,” added Joe.

“The cars came out with nothing on them and there was a fantastic array of accessories that people could buy. So we decided to develop the retail side of the business and during the sixties and seventies, Elliott’s Car Accessories became one of the best and most respected shop of its kind in the country.

“To be reopening Elliott’s Car Accessories today is incredibly exciting. I am very optimistic about the future of the business, I have great staff and the store still has an excellent reputation.

“There was never a doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t take over the company when the opportunity arose.

“The rest of my family have been very supportive about this decision. They understand that I need to stay busy and they know how much this business means to me. It is wonderful to be back doing what I love.”

Elliott’s Car Accessories was originally run by Joe’s grandfather Joseph Warden Elliott, followed by Joe’s father Frank William - who ran the business during the 40s.

Frank kept the business open during the Second World War, as his father had done during the First World War, providing assistance to the war efforts.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Joe Elliott returns to Elliott’s Car Accessories...

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 pm

I remember Elliott's as the only building left standing after the area was cleared for construction of the London Road roundabout in 1960. Am not sure though whether it was the original building as shown in the photo or a new prefab which took its place?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:58 pm

As a youngster running a car on a shoe-string I used to be a regular there. Sadly, with the advent of modern motoring motorists are rather limited in the work they can do for themselves, and with insurance the way it is, woe betide you if you even think about customising a car in any way!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Up to 180 new flats could be built on Elliotts Car Accessories

Nearly 200 flats could be built on the site of Elliotts Car Accessories.

A public notice has been issued inviting people to go along to an event and find out more about the flats plans.

The public exhibition is being held to present proposals of a scheme by Rainier Developments Ltd for a residential development at land south of Gulson Road, Coventry.

The plan is for approximately 180 new flats.

Although in 2013 he said he was taking back over the company, Joe said he is now in fact just a consultant for the shop.

In a statement talking about the public notice, he said: "I am a consultant within the shop.

"The owner of Elliott's site have had an approach.

"The company that have approached them are holding a public meeting next week."

The exhibition will be held on Thursday April 19 between 3.30pm and 7.30pm, to be held in at The Inspire 2 Room, The Welcome Centre, 47 Parkside, Coventry, CV1 2HG.

Members of the public are invited to attend the exhibition, which will be held by Frampton Town Planning Consultants of Banbury.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon May 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Famous Coventry store to be demolished for two high-rise apartment blocks

A landmark Coventry shop will be demolished to make way for more than 160 new flats in two high-rise buildings.

Rainer Developments is behind the residential scheme at the site of Elliotts Car Accessories, which will provide 167 high-spec apartments - but not for students.

The project is a new-build residential development on a brownfield site on the edge of Coventry city centre on the junction of Gulson Road and London Road.

It will see the demolition of Elliotts Car Accessories and two buildings - both of different heights - erected in its place.

It is not yet clear what plans Elliots Car Accessories has for the future.

The proposal consists of two buildings providing a total of 167 units with a split of approximately 70 per cent two-bedroom and 30 per cent one-bedroom and studio accommodation.

Associated car parking and secure cycle storage spaces beneath the footprint of the buildings will also be developed.

The site is located at the junction of London Road and Gulson Road, on a brownfield site on the edge of Coventry city centre, which splits the site between an urban and semi urban context.

Pedestrian access will be provided on the corner of the site, with further pedestrian and vehicle access to car parking provided via Gulson Roa

The site is bordered by existing residential and retail units.

To the north is the grade I listed Whitefriars Monastery, and Coventry University buildings.

To the south-west is a 14-story student residential development, Paradise Street; which is currently under construction.

The developers said the combination of the proposed site and Paradise Street on London Road, had the opportunity to "create a gateway to the city centre."

The public consultation for the development begins on May 24, and will finish on June 14.

Over the road from Elliotts, a massive student accommodation complex which will house more than 900 students when complete is being built in Paradise Street.

"public consultation" :rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 pm

I wouldn't want to buy property there
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 pm

How it looked just before the war...

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm

First images of apartment complex planned for Elliotts site

These are the first pictures of the £20m apartment complex that could replace one of Coventry’s best-known businesses - Elliotts Car Accessories.

They just blend in with their surroundings don't they? :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Thu May 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Nope and no doubt they will find an excuse to knock the rest of the surrounding area down that does nt fit. I am glad I no longer shop or go to the city any more to me its now become ugly no character what so ever which will fit the people who allowed it and ones who use it. In fact the last tour ride to show me the town made me think some one had a addiction with maccano and lego when they were a child.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Having driven around the Gulson Rd/London Rd junction recently I must say how out of character I find the development that is going on there.

I know the council are tied a little when it comes to student accommodation approvals, but surely they can at least make sure they blend in?
rebbonk

Next

Return to Local History