Joe Elliott returns to Elliott’s Car Accessories...

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Joe Elliott returns to Elliott’s Car Accessories...

Postby Melisandre » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:47 pm

They could of used Hillfields where flats already stood and as they have built tower flats on Bishop Gate where the old post office sorting place is they might as well of kept it together and built tower flats for students over the road bottom of Foleshill Rd instead of houses and flats for the citizens keeping it in one place which would be close to the town for the students.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Elliotts Car Accessories: Joe Elliott bids a fond farewell

August 31 will mark the end of an era when a business which has been an ever present in the life of most Coventrians closes its doors for the final time.

Elliotts Car Accessories is shutting-up shop at the end of this month after more than 60 years helping Midland motorists modify their vehicles.

Planning permission was granted to build more than 160 new apartments on the site at the junction of Gulson Road and London Road.

While it may well be missed by many, the man behind it all says he is far from sad and admits it has ‘run it course’.

Joe Elliott transformed a family garage business from the 1960s onwards, after spotting a gap in the market which proved very lucrative.

Small and affordable cars like the Mini, Ford Anglia and Triumph Herald were starting to be mass produced but sometimes they lacked even the most basic creature comforts.

Reflecting on the rise of Elliotts under his leadership, Joe said, “I was lucky. I left school in 1958, went into Elliotts, which at that time was a petrol station and a small shop selling bicycles and motorcycles - the main dealer for Royal Enfield.

“In 1960 the Mini, Triumph Herald and Ford Anglia had come out.

“The Mini was an economical car owned by families and young people.

“But they came out with nothing on.

“A Mini hadn’t even got proper door handles and mirrors.

“The seats were like concrete and the steering wheel was like a lorry’s.

“In 1960-61 I could see this coming. I could see there was an opening.

“I went to London to motor shows for the main accessories and I managed to get the dealerships for Coventry.

“We had every product in stock for people who wanted to do up their Mini, Herald or Anglia.

“We sold steering wheels, more comfortable seats, exhausts and more besides.

“Everything you could think of came into play.”

Ultimately he feels the reason for Elliotts’ demise is the changing nature of the automotive world.

Cars now come fully equipped, with little or no need to accessorise.

“Cars have got everything these days,” he said.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:12 pm

After being lectured on the mechanical superiority of British cars I once suggested to a Triumph employee that customers would rather buy a Japanese car with all the extras included. His reply was "Customers don't know what they want".
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm

In truth there is often little to choose between cars these days.

Rovers and Hondas were made on the same line by the same people yet Rovers were slated whilst Hondas were the best thing since sliced bread!

The Triumph guy may well have had a point, it's all so often about perception. - Who'd-a-thunk people want cup holders?

I think the insurance market killed off the aftermarket personalisation of cars. These days you need declare every change if you aren't going to invalidate your cover. And for every change you declare, they add to your premium.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Previous

Return to Local History