Harvey's bakery Jordan Well

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Harvey's bakery Jordan Well

Postby bowiewhist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I wondered if any forumites had memories of Frank Harvey and his bakehouse (Jordan Well) and shops (Gosford St etc.) which ran until the 1970s. I'd be interested to hear any stories about him or his business and to know of any photos of the old place. I particularly remember being granted an apricot madelaine from the large tray of cakes when we visited the bakery upstairs.
bowiewhist

Re: Harvey's bakery Jordan Well

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 am

Hello Bowiewhist and :welwave: to the fourm.

I lived in Gosford Street between 1960 and 1967 but afraid I have no memory of a bakery in Jordan Well. Can you tell us whereabouts in Jordan Well it was located?

Also the only bakers shop I remember in Gosford Street was opposite the Colin Cambell, it was more of a cake and pastries shop really but very good all the same.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby THE FAT MAN » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Harveys in Jordan well does ring a bell as does Gosford street.I think that the Gosford street bakery is now a hair dressers.I remember the old bakery being turned into a recording studio as i was on the project at that time.But the project finished and the studios went tits up.It was called Ramp records but failed to attract some major artists that are now house hold names.
THE FAT MAN

Postby Bollinge » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:58 am

Frank Harvey was my great-uncle. There were a chain of either five or seven shops, the main bakery was in Hill Top, the alley that runs up the side of the De Vere (Britannia) Hotel.
One shop was in Jordan Well, somewhere near the Gaumont Cinema, and another was on Foleshill Road near the Wolfe pub.

My mother worked there for her Aunt and Uncle. I think the shops were called Fran Harvey's Gold Medal Bakeries, as he regularly won gold medals for his confections. I remember my great Aunt May showing me them.

Frank passed away and his son took over the business and one by one the shops closed.
Bollinge

Postby Midland Red » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 pm

dutchman wrote:Hello Bowiewhist and :welwave: to the fourm.

I lived in Gosford Street between 1960 and 1967 but afraid I have no memory of a bakery in Jordan Well. Can you tell us whereabouts in Jordan Well it was located?

Also the only bakers shop I remember in Gosford Street was opposite the Colin Cambell, it was more of a cake and pastries shop really but very good all the same.

1971 Telephone Directory lists Frank Harvey, confectioners, 74 Far Gosford Street

In 1956, 37 Jordan Well and Hilltop - also 56 Parade, Leamington Spa
Midland Red

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks MR, the street number helps :thumbsup:

That would place it immediately next door to the cinema.

I regret that I can find no clear pictures of that row of shops. This one was taken in bad light and pouring rain and has been digitally enhanced by me:

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:15 am

Well, whaddayaknow? This post-war photo clearly showing the name of the bakery recently turned up on a site devoted to the history of Gaumont cinemas:

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History