A little local rail (freight) history

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

A little local rail (freight) history

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:34 am

Railway nostalgia from the 70's / 80's

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: A little local rail (freight) history

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Brilliant find Rebbbonk! :thumbsup: :cheers:

That particular period in the line's history is seldom documented in such detail. I think there was total apathy towards the railway system at the time. I wasn't even aware so much of it survived until then.

This was one of the items which stood out for me:
The Class 45 was normally allocated to Western Region so it was very unusual (but by no means unique) to see one in Coventry.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby pollyanna » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

A great post Rebbonk. I remember the railway station at Lockhurst Lane well - and there was a hotel just across the road which was used by businessmen using the station if I remember correctly - but is now a complete eyesore.
pollyanna

Postby StevieG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Your post certainly brought back the memories Rebbonk as Dad used to work for Brit. Rail and was posted to Trent Valley - Nuneaton and we lived alongside the station in Weddington for a few years and always remember the shunting of wagons just about 100 yards from the house but it was noisy when we moved in to the house but we gradually got used to it, case of having to.
Moved back to L'Pool again and made some good friends in Nuneaton who we still keep in touch with and the memories come rolling back when we come down as the wife comes from Bedduf, which has a language all of it's own :lol:
StevieG

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

The first place I ever lived in England was right beside the Nuneaton line and only a very short distance from Warwick Road goods yard. I'll never forget the sound made the ex-War Department engines, it was like a blacksmith hitting his anvil with a hammer at a steady pace.
These engines were unloved by the crews and generally left to deteriorate.

We often used to scramble up the railway embankment and from there we could see the wagons in the good yard being shunted. That was done by diesel engines as the London-Midland had a long history of using diesel engines for shunting instead of steam.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History