Coventry's Charterhouse to be turned into a museum

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Coventry's Charterhouse to be turned into a museum

Postby rebbonk » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:00 pm

I think I might be inclined to go with HE
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:58 pm

No one on this panel mention that King Charles the first lived in the Charter house in the 16th century, the wainscot paintings were of Charlie boy in his pursuits of Country life and his other pursuits. The whole house was designed 1381 long before the first stone was laid and money was awarded for such long before King Richard laid the first stone 1385.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:53 am

Volunteers sought for historic Coventry Charterhouse

A former monastery that has been saved from ruin needs volunteers to enable public access at open days and special events, an historical trust says.

The Grade I listed Coventry Charterhouse, founded in 1381, has undergone a £10m refurbishment.

Unique medieval and Tudor wall paintings have been part of the extensive restoration along with gardens at the former Carthusian monastery.

An open day is being held on Saturday.

The building was added to Historic England's At Risk Register in 2013 as the organisation said the site was not being fully used, the roof was in poor condition and the "exceptional" wall paintings were under threat.

Repairs began in October 2019 under the guidance of owners Historic Coventry Trust, with more than £4m of funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

All works on the roof and external buildings were finished last year ahead of it becoming a visitor centre.

Elizabeth Bayton, a volunteer with Historic Coventry Trust, said: "I love Charterhouse, and I want everyone else to love it too.

"Being involved in this unique building gives you a sense of pride in our city and its amazing history. It's a very welcoming place to join in."

The Charterhouse is the only Carthusian monastery in the country with intact interiors.

The attraction will include interactive displays charting the site's history.

The restoration was carried out in partnership with the city council and supported by major grants from Historic England and several other trusts and foundations.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:44 am

Dutchman,
If you look closely at the paintings on the wainscot you will see that it is Charles at 5 feet 4 inches tall alongside his girlfriend, and they are his hunting scenes.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:49 pm

Interesting, thanks! :thumbsup:

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:32 pm

Dutchman,
King Charles I stayed at the Charter house, he was known to like beautiful things. Charles had many fine qualities, Inigo Jones a famous architect, playwrights and painters. He brought over Rubens to decorate the ceiling of the banqueting hall in Whitehall palace in memory of his father. Van Dyke did portraits of his family, W. Dobson another portrait painter. A painter was brought to paint the frescoes in the charter house. But Charles had serious defects; he was lazy, lacked humour, he thought any means to justify war, he made promises that he never meant to keep and so he made enemies. In January 1649 he was brought to trial, he was condemned to death.
A man named Brandon sliced off his head with a giant axe and his body was buried in Windsor Castle.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:30 am

You can see his feet are on a bank five feet four inches tall, he his now on a level with his wife.
Blitzkid

Previous

Return to Local History