Old pictures

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Old pictures

Postby rebbonk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:17 am

I stumbled on this site, a few interesting old pictures of Coventry within the forum posts

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/o ... es.270038/
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Old pictures

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:11 pm

The subject of this particular forum's thread came up in the Historic Coventry forum some weeks ago.

As you can now see, the claim by Coventry City Libraries and associated website Pictures of Coventry that they "own" the copyright on these photographs is completely bogus since they do not even own the original negatives. The same is true for many other photographs which were merely loaned to the library by various organisations and individuals in the public interest.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 pm

That's interesting Dutchman.

I wonder just what happens if the City Library ask for royalties or seek compensation in such a case? Or would they back down rather quickly?

A touch of sharp practice, and not one that I would normally associate with such a public body.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:04 pm

rebbonk wrote:That's interesting Dutchman.

I wonder just what happens if the City Library ask for royalties or seek compensation in such a case?

Then the onus would be on them to prove they owned the original copyright on the pictures, almost impossible in their case. In the UK at least, a copyright complaint cannot be brought on behalf of a third party, as a certain crooked lawyer just found out to his cost! The law is different in other countries.

rebbonk wrote:A touch of sharp practice, and not one that I would normally associate with such a public body.

English Heritage are the worst, demanding £400 a time for pictures which were donated freely to them by public spirited individuals.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History