Much Park Street in 1969

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Much Park Street in 1969

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Work has begun on building K-Block of what was then the Lanchester College of Technology. The partly demolished malt tower of the former Midland Brewery can be seen in the background.

Looking north Much Park Street towards Jordan Well. Library blocks H-L are under construction. The Gaumont cinema is on the right, part of the Herbert on the other side of the road is visible in the centre with the few remaining 14th century shops visible in the gap in-between.

View from the Ring Road end looking towards Jordan Well. A fellow-geek is peering into the window of R.E.P. who I think later moved to the High Street and became Tandy?

A winter view looking towards Jordan Well with melted brown slush all over the road, yuck!

Close-up of some of the buildings in the previous photo.

Nos 7-10 before they were dismantled and eventually moved to Spon Street where they now form Frank Harvey Hi-Fi Excellence Ltd. The Lady Godiva pub on the corner of Jordan Well and fruit shop in-between are just visible beyond.

Reverse angle of the above picture looking towards Ringway St John showing the Godiva Club on the opposite side of the road to the Lady Godiva pub.

Rear of nos 7-10 prior to dismantling. The wooden frames are probably the only the original parts which survive in the later Spon Street reconstruction.

Mrs Maton's fruit & veg stall, previously sited next to the Dun Cow Inn in Jordan Well, now sits between the Lady Godiva pub and No 7 Much Park Street. There was a very long business association between Mrs Maton and the Flowers brewery company which owned both the old pub and the new pub. The "ghost advert" for Lea Francis Cars is a reference to a back-entrance which once existed alongside No 7. The Lea Francis company itself was some distance further along the street.

Unidentified pic which is almost certainly a rear view of Nos 7-8 and Mrs Maton's fruit stall shown above.

All pictures by Graham Harwood. Original descriptions by Dutchman.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Much Park Street in 1969

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:29 am

A fantastic collection. Thanks Dutchman :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby hushmoney » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Black and white photographs of this quality capture the scene and tell a story in a way that colour photographs never can.
Absolutely wonderful images.Thank you for posting them - it has filled a huge gap in my family history project.
hushmoney

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 pm

hushmoney wrote:Black and white photographs of this quality capture the scene and tell a story in a way that colour photographs never can.
Absolutely wonderful images.Thank you for posting them - it has filled a huge gap in my family history project.

It's my pleasure Hushmoney. Thank you for your comments and :welwave: to the forum :cheers:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby NeilsYard » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Amazing - just Amazing Dutchman :applause: That Malt Tower looked incredible - How could we lose buildings like that outside of the war......
Dutchy - can you please release books of several volumes of your collection! :cheers:
NeilsYard

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

NeilsYard wrote:Dutchy - can you please release books of several volumes of your collection! :cheers:

Not possible I'm afraid NeilsYard. I don't own the original prints and there are many legal obstacles to publishing them in hard copy form.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby NeilsYard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am

Just to bring things up to date - this is Frank Harveys Hi-Fi shop now on Spon Street but as discussed and seen here previously on Much Park Street today ...

Just who was it that finally realised some of Coventrys fabulous Architectural past should be saved.......Too little too late...
NeilsYard

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks Neil :thumbsup: I'm very familiar with that building both inside and out :)
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Spuffler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Great to see REP on one of the photos! That was a regular haunt of mine in the late 50s! I think it's a shame to see the buildings moved and 'restored' like this; so much better to have kept them where they were, in context. They could have had a more sympathetic restoration than has been achieved by moving them to Spon St. I always felt the project in Spon St to create an 'old Coventry' street scene very artificial and rather demeaning to lovely old buildings. But what's done is done....
Many thanks for some great photos.

Just had another look, and, you know that "geek" looking in REP's window could be....ME!!!! :hysterical:
Spuffler

Return to Local History