Legend of Blitzkid

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Legend of Blitz-kid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:52 pm

Blitzkid wrote: It then became a school, taught by the white/grey friars.

Would this be what we know as 'the old grammar school'? Now under the care of the motor museum, I think?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Rebbonk
Yes at the bottom of Bishop st and Hale St, to me it was the first stone building in Coventry, in Henry 11 time, born of Matilda, brought to England when only 9 years old.
St Johns church was licensed by Edward 111 in 1340 formally a chapel to the merchants guild, the most ancient in Coventry. the school also had a library.
The Cathedral steeple was also built in 1372 Edward 111 time, it was 303 feet high, and 303 ft long, the width 104 ft, a body and two ails divided by four rows of high and airy pillars and arches.
The walls were not begun till the year 1355, 32 towers and 12 gates- licence granted by Edward 111 nor were they finished in less than forty years.
One historian claims the ride by Godiva was a myth, the history was preserved in a picture about the time of Richard 11 holding a charter of freedom in his hand I Luriche (Leofric) for love of thee
Doe make Coventry toll-free.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Blitzkid. :thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:51 pm

GEORGE V1 ANGER AT COVENTRY CIVIC PEOPLE

Standing in the mall in london Feb 1952 it was the blast of the trumpets at the kings funeral that made me think of the way he had been treated at Coventry aftermath of the Blitz.
My Dad and I were shooed out of the Cathedral, then out of Broadgate to Smithford Street, rumour was the King had arrived in Coventry to meet the people, but there were no people, we had all been pushed away from were we could meet him.
The king had plenty of experience of the bombing he had visited city's he had been in his element at meeting his people, picking their way through the rubble, and sharing their sorrows, he had watched a lone bomber fly up the mall and release Bombs on his own Home B.Palace.

In Coventry he was shepherded by a score of civic heads including the mayor. no workers in The Cathedral, or any place he could see.
Broadgate, still no workers rescue people of any sort the place was deserted apart from these dignataries, as he marched through Broadgate a good six yards in front of them his face was livid. No city had he been kept so far from the working class people, in other cities he been applauded with warm smiles, 'and shouts of we can take it' but not in Coventry, all he was allowed was to meet people the dignitaries wanted him to meet. Shame fully I wished him Good bye, he had been thrown into the job at short notice, and badly brought up for such a demanding job, but he got respect from all over the world.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:56 pm

Thank you Blitzkid, this is very interesting, and a very rare first-hand account.

Do you know why the 'common' people were herded away? Did any reason ever 'leak' out? Were the civic 'dignitaries' worried that something untoward might have been said? Did the press ever pick up on this, or like so many other things, was it conveniently ignored?

This is typically the picture that is rolled out...

Blitzkid, I truly look forward to your postings, first hand knowledge and experience are simply unbeatable. This is why I keep encouraging my older acquaintances to jot down what they know because once they are no longer with us, we will lose their knowledge and world views.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am

Rebbonk.
Thats walking up Earl street, very narrow street, there is a picture of him walking up Broadgate. as he came from the Cathedral down the Cathedral yard, he glanced at the smashed Prudential Building, but no one was there clearing the rubble, I'm sure he hesitated a moment, shook his head, as if to say where are my People? and this was a Saturday morning, he glanced to the left and there were two fire brigade officers using a small pump, and what we called a Garden hose, pretending to damp down, (it never needed officers ) and there was not a soul in Broadgate, even the smashed car on Owen Owens pavement had been removed. the King and Queen were used to strolling through London docks and meeting the Dockers while fires where raging, I believe he cut the visit short.

Dutchman
It;s taken a little while for me to talk to my son in west Aus (He was on Holiday) but no he lived in Utrecht for a few months, knew little of Eindhoven, but when I was at Folkestone Feb 1945 Montgomery had his 8th army headquarters at Eindhoven making it a very important place.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:33 am

Berkswell must be the oldest suburb of Coventry, for a man named Bercol owned a well in the Arden forest, but Arden was a Norwegian name, meaning woodland type of land. same as the vikings raided Northen France named the area Ardennes. they also believed in witches and witches of more than one was a COVEN who met in a clearing under the trees, we could not have it clearer.
The prior Leofric built also had 24 manors, they did this with the advice of King Edward the confessor and the reigning Pope. but the Bishop of Lichfield Robert de linsey removed the see to Coventry and in 1095 removed the gold and silver from the walls and Beam that supported Leofrics shrine in his convent.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:26 pm

:thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:28 pm

Rebbonk,
After that photo the party returned to the Council house, and the king looked at all the shattered windows, shook his head as he remembered that he was the one that had opened the council house as Duke of York in 1920,
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:05 am

Blitzkid wrote:Dutchman
It;s taken a little while for me to talk to my son in west Aus (He was on Holiday) but know he lived in Utrecht for a few months, knew little of Eindhoven, but when I was at Folkestone Feb 1945. Montgomery had his 8th Army headquarters at Eindhoven making it a very important place.

Eindhoven, uniquely, was liberated in September of 1944, the rest of Holland had to wait until the German surrender in May 1945. The bypass road to the north of Eindhoven is named after Montgomery. Welschap airfield (taken from the Germans) remained an RAF airbase for many years after the war.
dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Local History