Coventry's Cabin Studios gets blue plaque

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Coventry's Cabin Studios gets blue plaque

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Cabin Studios gets a plaque

Cabin Studios was based on the London Road and through the 1980s and the 90s was a hive of musical activity.

Musician Cary Lord and daughter of the studio owner Jon Lord has commissioned her own ‘blue plaque’ and this is now on the outside of what used to be Cabin Studio.

Paul Sampson was the in-house producer there, working with the likes of Sonic Boom, The Primitives, Catatonia, Attrition even Black Sabbath axe-man Tony Iommi has recorded here. It was also where the studio’s own record label Sonar Records was based.

Working out of Cov’s famous Cabin Studios, Sonar Records’ rationale barked up the same tree as Stiff records. That was to deliver to those sharp enough to listen, a broad spectrum of music – be it the rock of Gdansk or Armalite, the velvet-Indie of The Furious Apples or the just plain off-the-wall gems from the Courtiers Of Fashion and Crokodile Tears.

Sonar was the brainchild of Cabin Studio guru Jon Lord and his daughter Cary.

They and the likes of producer Paul Sampson and chief ‘Crok’ Christopher Sidwell helped make the label a reality and gave many a fledgling band the vision of the rock ‘n’ roll dream, in the shape of their very own seven-inch vinyl singles.

Cary said of the plaque: “A lot has changed since we closed Cabin in 2010 and the building has now been redeveloped.

“I thought this was a nice way to remember the good times.”

It was a place I regularly visited as a fledgling music journalist, eager to find out who the latest band was to record there.

Indeed, my own band (that I managed) Terminal Tears recorded there too.

So, it’s wonderful to see that this place of so much musical history has now gained a plaque.

More local studios should have their own plaques.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry's Cabin Studios gets blue plaque

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:35 pm

I've heard of Sonar, had no idea they were based in Coventry though! :shock:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History