A little history of the Rootes Group

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

A little history of the Rootes Group

Postby rebbonk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:14 am

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: A little history of the Rootes Group

Postby dutchman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:11 am

I love this site!

I had a total obsession with small cars when I was thirteen ears old and the Hillman Imp and its variants in particular. Even so I had no idea the Imp had two predecessors. It's funny that the British motor manufactureres ridiculed the continental obsession with "Mickey Mouse" cars as they called them when almost all of them were secretly developing something very similar.

Where the student hall of residence now is in Lower Holyhead Road was for a long time the Rootes Garage. It featured a lot on calenders and wall posters but I don't have a clear picture of it anywhere.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 am

Would that have been "City Garage"?

I had several coupé imps as a youngster, great little machines.

rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 pm

rebbonk wrote:Would that have been "City Garage"?
I've no idea Rebbonk? It was right at the bottom of the road close to the junction with Spon Street.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 pm

It was "The Coventry Garage" which was part of the Coventry Garage Group. I have an advert for them. I'll upload it later
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 am

An advert from around 1973/4
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:26 am

I see that's from the Chrysler era Rebbonk, I have a feeling it was called the Rootes Garage before that. It was a quite striking building and the adverts were often accompanied by a drawing of it.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 am

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:36 am

Celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Singer Vogue - a Coventry motoring icon

Coventry was the heart of the British motor industry, the country’s ‘Motor City’ just like Detroit was in the USA.

At one point early in the days of the car industry there were more than 100 car makers in the city and although that number dwindled many firms thrived and went on to enjoy global recognition.

Although many of these names are no more, they live on in the classic cars that survive today and are loved by enthusiasts all over the world.

There are models that stand out too - particularly among diehard enthusiasts -and one of them is the Singer Vogue.

In fact July marks 60 years since the Vogue’s launch and enthusiasts are celebrating the occasion.

The Vogue was designed and built in Coventry and Singer had a long association with Coventry.

Founded by George Singer as a cycle business in 1876, the firm made its first car in 1904 and grew to be the third largest motor manufacturer in the country by 1928.

In 1955, the firm was bought out by the Rootes Group, which was co-owned by a former Singer apprentice Sir William Rootes.

Speaking about the history of the company, Nigel Hughes, Rootes historian for the Singer Owners Car Club, said: “With the acquisition of Singer Motors in 1955, Rootes now had a range of cars from four notable businesses, that spread from popular value for money models through to sports and from luxury to prestige. Each firm Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam and Singer retained a clear identity and market positioning within the group hierarchy.”

Giving a potted history of the Singer Vogue Nigel said: “The Singer Vogue, was launched in July 1961 and joined later in the autumn of that year by the Hillman Super Minx.

“Powered by the well proven Rootes 4-cylinder OHV 1592 cc engine matched to a 4 speed, non-synchromesh on 1st gear, gearbox which produced 62 bhp at 4,800 rpm.

“The body incorporated twin cowled headlamps surmounting a new frontal design with larger centre grille, flanked by chrome side air intake grilles which housed the side lights and indicators.

“The interior of the new car was much larger than that of the Gazelle and featured a bench front seat, full width parcel shelf and burred walnut veneer dashboard with horizontal instrumentation.

“An all drum braking system was fitted and Smiths Easidrive and Laycock overdrive transmission were optional extras.

“In February 1962, production began of an estate car version which was built at Carbodies in Holyhead Road, Coventry and was formally launched in May of that year.

“Unlike the Super Minx a convertible version of the model was not offered as an option. The new car sold well with 7,423 Mk I Singer Vogues being produced.”

“In April 1967 a new Vogue Estate car was launched. With production of the entire Hillman Hunter range being moved up to Linwood to free up space at Ryton to build the new Avenger, the last Singer Vogues rolled down the assembly lines in early 1970 and the time honoured name of Singer came to an end.”

Singer Vogues are now extremely rare, with just a few hundred remaining.

Nigel said: “Of the 100,000 Singer Vogues built in the city barely 400 survive – prized classic cars today.

“The Singer Owners Car Club, itself celebrating a big anniversary this year – 70 years from its founding, is marking the Vogue’s 60th and its own 70th birthdays with big celebrations and return to the city of a number of the surviving Vogues.

To find out more about the Singer Owners Car Club click http://www.singerownersclub.co.uk/.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History