Car insurance renewals hiked?

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Car insurance renewals hiked?

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm

I've heard recently from car owners who normally pay £400-£500 per year suddenly being asked to pay £1,000-£2000 to renew their policies for no apparent reason.

Anyone else had experience of this?
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Car insurance renewals hiked?

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I've not personally heard of this, but there was an article in the Daily Mail a few days back where the police were blaming gangs that deliberately stage accidents for the rises. Slowly, but surely, we are being priced off the roads.

Mind you, I've been looking for car insurance recently and the variations can be horrendous. It really does pay to shop around, and the comparison sites (despite what they tell you) don't always offer the best deals.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Car insurance renewals hiked?

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm hearing more and more cases all the time.

In each case an existing policy holder is being asked to pay double or more despite no change in circumstances but when they searched elsewhere they were often quoted a premium similar to that which they were paying already, sometimes from the same insurance company they were already with!

The lesson seems to be that loyalty doesn't pay and to get get anything like a competitive quote you need to change insurer every year?
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion