Things you always buy too much of at Xmas?

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: Things you always buy too much of at Xmas?

Postby rebbonk » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:03 am

Just before Mrs R died, she insisted I buy a rather large turkey breast. As it happened, it didn't get used and ended up taking space up in my small freezer. I finally got rid of it the Thursday before Christmas eve when my kids took it. Apparently, they cooked and ate it on Christmas eve and there was still plenty left for Christmas day. I dread to think how long it would have fed me for.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:15 am

I had a sister-in-law used to turn up late on Christmas Eve with a fourteen pound turkey frozen so hard you could bang a nail into wood with it and there was only the two of us living here! :clown:

What the hell were we supposed to do with it? It took a half a week just to thaw out! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby lostinwonder » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:21 am

I went to our local butchers, spied a nice plump medium sized turkey, and out of curiosity I asked the price, the butcher weighed it, and it came to £51. So I politely declined. Fortunately, our butcher sells cooked turkey joints, so, I bought a few nice thick slices , enough for 3 people, and it was lovely, succulent, no fuss with cooking. I'd much rather in future buy the turkey ready cooked. No left overs.
Today I shall make chicken stew with dumplings.
We are lucky to have a good local butcher, his Gammon steaks and Irish sausages are delicious. I never, purchase meat from a supermarket.

Happy Christmas and New Year, to all on CMB. :xmas_smile:
lostinwonder

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:02 pm

A Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you too LostInWonder as well as all our other readers and especially to Rebbonk for the hard work he's done all year.
:xmas_smile:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:53 am

:xmas_smile:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:47 am

I should have stayed in bed this morning! :fuming:

First off I noticed the local chippie was shut so there would be no hot meal for me when I got home.

Next there wasn't a single checkout open at Morrisons and I was forced to use the self-service till for a trolley full of shopping it was simply not designed to cope with! :fuming:

The bill exceeded the balance in my current account but I somehow forgot my PIN number and my card is now blocked so had to pay in cash anyway. :clown:

As I was about to leave the car park I noticed I'd left a couple of carrier bags at the self service till and had to go back for them. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:19 am

I do it all online and have it delivered these days; saves me both time and money. I can't see me ever going back to traipsing around supermarkets again.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Also I bought too many hot-cross buns yesterday!

:santa_eating:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 am

dutchman wrote:I somehow forgot my PIN number and my card is now blocked so had to pay in cash anyway.

Morrisons said my card was now blocked, my bank says they haven't blocked it! :tinfoilhat:

Morrisons said I exceeded the contactless spending limit. Their website says the spending limit is £100, I only spent £46. :clown:

I will have some interesting questions to ask Morrisons next time I visit. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:13 am

The saga continues, my bank said my card was not blocked, Morrisons say it is.

Up till now at least the staff at Morrisons have been a lot more helpful in this matter than those at my bank.

Managed to find a huge raspberry trifle on sale for £2 and get it home in one piece.

I've paid as much as £7 for one that size in the past.
dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion