Petrol and diesel prices

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: Petrol prices

Postby dutchman » Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 am

Spuffler wrote:Morrison's is now 135.9!! I wonder how long it will be before the others decide to follow their lead.....

BP has always been a few pennies dearer than Morrisons around here Spuffler and I don't think that will change.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Spuffler » Sat May 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Even waitrose is 135.9 today!!
Spuffler

Postby dutchman » Sun May 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Sainsbury’s price war: petrol under 130p/litre

A PETROL price war will finally erupt tonight as SAINSBURY’S makes the biggest cuts on the forecourt this year.

The supermarket giant is slashing 3p off a litre nationwide, cutting its “starting price” for unleaded under 130p, to 129.9pence per litre.

It will make the chain the cheapest in the country. Diesel will drop to 134.4ppl.

The move came as TESCO vowed to give motorists a 10p discount at the pump — if they bought 18 ANDREX toilet rolls.

Meanwhile MORRISONS promised a 12p cut — if customers spend £60 in their stores.

The price war comes just days after the AA slammed supermarkets and oil giants for short-changing Brits by failing to pass on falls in global petrol costs.The AA said prices should be coming down by as much as 5ppl this week.

Sainsbury’s cuts will take affect from midnight tonight and are a huge challenge to its rivals.

Richard Crampton, Sainsbury’s head of fuel, said: “We know that fuel continues to be a big part of many household budgets and we are committed to helping our customers cut down on cost whenever we can.

“Wholesale fuel prices have dropped across Europe and we are delighted to pass these savings onto our customers.”

Motoring chiefs have urged supermarkets to make straight price reductions rather than tie cuts to vouchers or promotions.

The AA last week tore into the store chains — revealing that despite promising cuts of 6p between April and mid-May, Britain’s big four supermarkets had at most cut prices by only 4.5ppl.

Tesco said its deal with Andrex offered motorists “great value”. Anyone buying two, nine packs of loo roll will receive a 10ppl discount.

David Wood, Tesco’s UK marketing chief, said: “Toilet rolls are an essential in every customer’s trolley.”

Morrisons’ latest Fuel Britannia promotion is less than a 15p discount it ran earlier this year but Mark Todd, the chain's petrol chief, insisted: “We’re aiming to make a real difference on fuel prices.”

Costs at the pumps have been falling on the back of sliding oil prices.

But the AA claims prices have come down TWICE as fast in mainland Europe.

Sainsbury's is much cheaper for most stuff than Morrisons in any case. In fact I've no idea how the idea that Morrisons was 'cheap' came about in the first place? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Morrison's yesterday:

Basic unleaded petrol 131.9

Basic diesel 137.9

It's not known if these prices include any in-store offers?

That's a big gap between petrol and diesel. There's a limit to many gallons of diesel can be refined from any one barrel of crude oil so even if the latter falls in price it will not necessarily be reflected in the cost of diesel at the pumps.

BP (opposite Butts Park Arena):

Basic unleaded petrol 134.9

Basic diesel 139.9
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby pollyanna » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 am

Petrol is slowly coming down in price.

Morrisons Canterbury - £132.9 unleaded
£137.9 diesel

I don't like these 'offers' where you have to spend £60 to get a few pence off a litre - not a lot of use to folks who live on their own or smaller families :driver:
pollyanna

Postby StevieG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:17 pm

In these dark days, they are trying every trick in the book to squeeze every penny from the public :censored:
StevieG

Postby dutchman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 pm

pollyanna wrote:I don't like these 'offers' where you have to spend £60 to get a few pence off a litre - not a lot of use to folks who live on their own or smaller families :driver:

Or indeed if they don't buy petrol as the cost is added to the price of everything else in the store.

BP Butts Park Arena this afternoon:
Basic unleaded: 134.9
Basic diesel: 139.9
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Spuffler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Prices have gone bananas around here. From Petrol 131.9 diesel 140.9 at one station to Petrol 135.9 diesel 137.9 at another..... How the devil do they arrive at such different prices and price ratios??
Spuffler

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 pm

My first visit to Morrison's in a while and there wasn't even a marching band there to greet me! :evil:

Basic unleaded: 128.9
Basic diesel: 134.9
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Spuffler » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Last time I looked, 131.9 in Waitrose, 133.9 in Morrisons.......
Spuffler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion