Marines lose a rifle, hold my beer!

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Marines lose a rifle, hold my beer!

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:04 pm

You couldn't make this up!

US military asks for help to find missing F-35 fighter jet after ‘mishap’ sees pilot eject

Search for F-35B Lightning II fighter jet focused on two lakes after Marine Corps pilot ejected over North Charleston for unknown reason

US military officials have appealed to the public for help to find a fighter jet after losing track of it somewhere over South Carolina when the pilot ejected.

A Marine Corps pilot safely escaped the F-35B Lightning II jet over North Charleston on Sunday afternoon after a “mishap”, military officials said, and the search for his missing aircraft was now focused on two lakes north of North Charleston.

The pilot parachuted safely into North Charleston at about 2pm and was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition, said Maj Melanie Salinas. The pilot’s name has not been released.

Based on the missing plane’s location and trajectory, the search for the F-35 Lightning II jet was focused on Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, said Senior Master Sergeant Heather Stanton at Joint Base Charleston. Both lakes are north of North Charleston.

Local congresswoman Nancy Mace said: “How in the hell do you lose an F-35? How is there not a tracking device and we’re asking the public to what, find a jet and turn it in?”

A South Carolina Law Enforcement Division helicopter joined the search for the F-35 after some bad weather cleared in the area, Stanton said.

Officials are still investigating why the pilot ejected, authorities said.

The pilot of a second F-35 returned safely to Joint Base Charleston, Salinas said.

The planes and pilots were with the Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 based in Beaufort, not far from South Carolina’s Atlantic coast.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/18/missing-f-35b-lighting-ii-fighter-jet-us-military-help-marine-corps-pilot-ejects
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Marines lose a rifle, hold my beer!

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:53 am

It beats me why they keep calling it a "fighter" when it's only armament is four bombs and it has virtually no air-to-air capability? :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion