Penny Mordaunt humbled and grateful after Coronation acclaim

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Penny Mordaunt humbled and grateful after Coronation acclaim

Postby dutchman » Thu May 11, 2023 3:41 am

Writing exclusively for The Telegraph, sword-carrying Commons Leader reflects on her role at Westminster Abbey

Penny Mordaunt has expressed her gratitude for the recognition she has received for her sword-wielding role in the Coronation.

The Leader of the House of Commons, who impressed a global audience of billions by holding the 8lb (3.6kg) Sword of State aloft for 51 minutes of Saturday’s two-hour ceremony at Westminster Abbey, said she found the whole experience “humbling”.

She is the first woman in history to perform the role at a Coronation as Lord President of the Privy Council, a body of advisers to the sovereign that includes senior elected politicians and ceremonial officers.

The former Conservative Party leadership hopeful, 50, spawned memes not only for her upper-arm strength but also her stunning teal dress and cape, which featured a Greek goddess-like golf leaf embroidery motif. Bookmakers have since slashed the odds on her replacing Rishi Sunak as prime minister.

Writing for The Telegraph, the MP for Portsmouth North, who is a Royal Navy reservist, said: “Since Saturday, I have been asked hundreds of times about how I felt about the Coronation.

“It was a humbling day in every respect. Crowned heads and world leaders were just faces in the congregation.

“If people chose to recognise my role, then I’m grateful. But my gratitude and thanks are reserved for all who took part.”

Hinting at how much everyone had practised their respective roles, she added: “Of course, on Saturday, we were all focused on an event. But what we were really seeing was a process. For so many on the day, they prepared knowing that, if they did their job really well, no one would notice. This was as much true for those organising street parties as it was for the Earl Marshal who organised the Coronation.

“Spare a thought also for those in the RAF who drilled and planned and so wanted to be part but were frustrated by the weather. And for all the service personnel drying out after hours of rain. The three former defence chiefs who stood with me bearing swords. The stewards, police and first aiders. And for carers, community workers and small business owners. If they all do their duty, no one notices.”

Describing the overriding emotion as “one of great love”, she paid tribute to the diversity of the congregation, saying: “People came from one-quarter of the world’s land mass … Not in homage of past empire, but for a modern, vibrant coalition – a celebration of constitutional democracy that can trace its lineage back a thousand years.”

Defending the rights of protesters, she said democracy is about “dissent”, adding: “Some think democracies weak because of this and that autocracies are somehow doing better. The reverse is true. At times like this we are reminded of what we all have in common. And that we should cherish one another, and the differences and obligations between us.”

She also called for politicians to heed the King’s example by using “courage, patience and judgment to listen to all views”.

“You can’t achieve anything with hate,” she added. “We live in a cynical world to which the only antidote is service, duty and love.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Penny Mordaunt humbled and grateful after Coronation acclaim

Postby dutchman » Thu May 11, 2023 3:43 am

Maybe they crowned the wrong head?

Would be interesting to see how she gets on with Excalibur? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion