Real Ale and seasonal beers

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Real Ale and seasonal beers

Postby PoundShopPeter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Noticed the old style off-licence in Earlsdon ( corner of Providence Street / Berkeley Road South ) was open until 4 pm today selling the Xmas range from the Tunnel Brewery in Ansley. Frankly I don't want to "Rodger the Goblin" but if you are into that kind of thing they are open again tomorrow from 11am - 4pm. I think it's only a temporary opening as the place closed a few months ago and is up for sale. Hope any buyer keeps it as an offy as it has a long history and was one of Earlsdon's better retail outlets. :cheers:
The Coventry Telegraph is the best Newspaper in the world. Honest.
PoundShopPeter

Re: Real Ale and seasonal beers

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:18 pm

PoundShopPeter wrote:Noticed the old style off-licence in Earlsdon ( corner of Providence Street / Berkeley Road South )
I remember when it was called "Cromwell Street"!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby PoundShopPeter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:22 pm

I bet you do! I bet you knew Oliver Cromwell too! ;)

Are you pictured in that famous postcard of it? :mrgreen:
PoundShopPeter

Postby kayhannah » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 pm

dutchman wrote:
PoundShopPeter wrote:Noticed the old style off-licence in Earlsdon ( corner of Providence Street / Berkeley Road South )

I thought Cromwell Street was off Red Lane, I didn,t realise Earlsdon had one . Which was it?
:tinfoilhat:
Tom
kayhannah

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:29 pm

kayhannah wrote:
dutchman wrote:

I thought Cromwell Street was off Red Lane?
It is now.
kayhannah wrote:I didn't realise Earlsdon had one . Which was it?
It was renamed "Berkeley Road South" I think in an effort to hide its original working class roots? There was a lot of low rent housing in that area at one time which has since been replaced with overpriced modern apartment blocks.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby PoundShopPeter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Berkeley Road South - I think whichever "The Coventry We Have Lost" books the postcard image of the off-licence is in says it was re-named to stop the posties getting confused. Not sure if that is true or not. The modern BRS is still pretty much original houses (including a top-shop or two) - just a few grim 1960's maisonettes in one part between Moor Street and Earlsdon Avenue South.
PoundShopPeter

Postby kayhannah » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:39 pm

dutchman wrote:It was renamed "Berkeley Road South" I think in an effort to hide its original working class roots? There was a lot of low rent housing in that area at one time which has since been replaced with overpriced modern apartment blocks.

Thanks for that Dutchy, my ghast is flabbered.I would never have guessed that, as Cromwell st is fairly old looking itself. . :thumbsup:
Tom
kayhannah

Return to General Discussion