Why coffee and chocolate venue has filled a gap in Coventry city centre market

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Why coffee and chocolate venue has filled a gap in Coventry city centre market

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:41 am

We paid a visit to Cacao Coffee & Chocolate Co in West Orchards Shopping Centre

At first glance, Cacao Coffee & Chocolate Co doesn't scream out 'we're an independent enterprise'. Located at the top of the escalators leading from Upper Precinct to the West Orchards Shopping Centre, it has all the trappings of what you have come to expect from the big chain coffee houses.

Contemporary furnishings and an open plan setting complete with huge glass panels allow light to flood from its first storey location. It's a bright, modern, sophisticated environment.

But this is an independent, run by a couple who have returned to the Midlands after a venture in Australia. It's lunchtime and spring had officially sprung in Coventry city centre, which has no shortage of lunchtime venues or coffee shops: so where is there a gap in the market?

The more we spent time at Cacao, my co-reviewer and I increasingly warmed to the place, and struggled to think of too many examples within walking distance that combined modern surroundings, with a family-run vibe of a warm welcome, attention to detail and non-uniform produce.

My order of a lime, corriander, chicken and mozzarella panini was a world apart from the equivalents that are freed from plastic wrapping at many coffee shops and served on a lukewarm plate. It came with a side salad and coleslaw with an appealing purple hue from the red cabbage within.

What's more, it was on my table within three minutes of swiping with my debit card. Ingredients were pouring out of the panini but bound in by the cheese, making for an indulgent and generously portioned lunch.

Sat across from me, my dining partner was experiencing something similar with her cheese and tomato toastie.

In our haste, and not exactly in the spirit of a secret review, we accidentally both ordered the Belgian 'hot chocolate', that was served over ice and topped with cream and a trickle of chocolate.

It was a sophisticated milkshake that was perfect for the warm weather we experienced that day. Although it probably wasn't the best accompaniment to what was quite a filling lunch!

Our table for two was positioned right next to the alluring glass cabinet. Inside, it was packed full of cakes, muffins, biscuits and doughnuts.

Neither of us could bring ourselves to wrap up our working lunch with a slice of something nice. However, we took away a salted caramel brownie and a toffee and honeycomb cheesecake that was placed in a takeaway box.

They followed the same tramlines as the savoury food of being generous in portion, and simply joyous. Creamy, with a crunch and a real treat.

Normally I begrudge having lunch at a coffee shop (looking at the chains here). Because I do not feel I'm experiencing anything unique or particularly well-crafted, yet I am paying a premium for something I could have off the shelf in a supermarket.

Here, it felt that the balance had been struck. A modern coffee shop vibe with high quality, fresh and tasty food without breaking the bank.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Why coffee and chocolate venue has filled a gap in Coventry city centre market

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:43 am

Okay, so what does all of that have to do with coffee and chocolate? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion