TV chef 'shocked' as Coventry misses out on AA and Michelin awards

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

TV chef 'shocked' as Coventry misses out on AA and Michelin awards

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:39 pm

Atul Kochhar has urged food critics and inspectors to go back and give Coventry a try

One of the country's most well-respected chefs has spoken of his 'shock' at Coventry's omission from two leading culinary awards schemes.

Not only that, Atul Kochhar, well known for his appearances on TV shows Great British Menu and Saturday Kitchen, urged judges from the Michelin and AA Restaurant guides to go back and give Coventry a visit.

"I'm quite amazed to hear that," said Atul, who has pledged to dine at the Rose and Crown pub in Warwick when he returns to the town for this summer's Pub in the Park festival.

"I would say it's their loss because I know there's some very talented chefs in the area. The chefs I know locally are incredibly proud artists.

"In defence of the guides, it's a hard task, but for them to miss out Coventry is a big miss.

"They should rectify that by going back because I'm sure there's restaurants that are deserving."

hree Warwickshire restaurants - The Cross in Kenilworth, Salt in Stratford and The Royal Oak in Whatcote - retained one star each in last year's Michelin Guide.

A further nine Warwickshire eateries were mentioned in dispatches, yet Coventry was overlooked. And it was a similar story in the AA Restaurant Guide 2022, published last October.

Warwickshire was good for 14 entries in that most digestible digest with three restaurants - Salt, The Cross and Mallory Court Hotel in Leamington - each awarded three rosettes.

But, yet again, there was no inclusion for Coventry establishments in another snub by the culinary top order.

Even for people like Atul, who earned his first Michelin star at London restaurant Tamarind in 2001, there's an element of "mystery" around judging in the Michelin Guide, arguably the most prestigious of all the fine dining awards schemes.

"I've held a Michelin star for two decades, but I still haven't cracked the code about how you get it and retain it," he told WarwickshireLive.

"If you love what you do, keep your standards high day in day out and you preach consistency, that will stand you in good stead. I think that's what everyone looks for.

"If you have a good meal on a Saturday you want to be repeating exactly that when someone comes back on a Tuesday or a Wednesday.

"The Michelin Guide is a lot about consistency and being able to perform at a high level right from the moment you open the door until it closes.

"That's what will get you that recognition and will retain customers also."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion