How wasteful we ve become.

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

How wasteful we ve become.

Postby Melisandre » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 pm

Melisandre

Re: How wasteful we ve become.

Postby rebbonk » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 pm

We've become a throwaway society because the cost of labour has risen so much in comparison to the price of things. Unintended consequences of the ever-rising 'living wage'?

Years ago I used to do radio/tv and other small appliance repairs as a sideline. These days it simply isn't worth it as a new appliance can be bought so cheaply. Often it's as cheap to buy a replacement as the parts required for repair, never mind the cost of doing the job.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 pm

Yes we have become a throw away society Rebbonk l agree its cheaper to buy new but a lot of new things made today are no where near as good as most old things imo.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 am

They're not Melisandre, but people will vote with their wallets.

As an apprentice, I used to supplement the departmental tea fund by repairing (amongst other things) toasters. I used to actually replace the heating element and rewind the cards. I doubt anybody does that these days.

I often used to make a few bob on the side by replacing kettle elements. - I was quite well known at Atkins and Barker. Today's kettles are made for manufacture, not for repair and are of very poor quality in comparison to those of yesteryear. I can't remember the last time I replaced a kettle element, it's just not economical.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:13 am

It's not physically possible to repair consumer-grade electrical items any more as they're manufactured in one piece with no replaceable parts. The expertise to repair older items simply doesn't exist any more. Contrary to popular belief hardly any of it is recycled either, it simply goes to landfill.

As for motor vehicles they've become so complex they're virtually guaranteed to breakdown as soon as the warranty has expired.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:42 am

rebbonk wrote:They're not Melisandre, but people will vote with their wallets.

As an apprentice, I used to supplement the departmental tea fund by repairing (amongst other things) toasters. I used to actually replace the heating element and rewind the cards. I doubt anybody does that these days.

I often used to make a few bob on the side by replacing kettle elements. - I was quite well known at Atkins and Barker. Today's kettles are made for manufacture, not for repair and are of very poor quality in comparison to those of yesteryear. I can't remember the last time I replaced a kettle element, it's just not economical.

Yes of course people will vote with their wallet Rebbonk.

I very much doubt such repair like that are done nowadays too they just buy another toaster.

So you know Pete a young man last time I seen him he was a biker who use to work for Atkins and Barker for years or are you Pete :yellow_grin:
No its the switches that go on kettles now before the element I ve had my kettle for 30 years.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:30 pm

No, I'm not Pete, Melisandre. The name doesn't mean anything, but we're talking 40 years ago. I'd probably know him by sight.

I've just ordered a new kettle, oddly enough, my existing one has a switch issue. :lol:
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Its was 40 years ago Pete worked there Rebbonk yes you would likely know him by sight.

Lol just make sure the next kettle s switch is at the top of the handle like mine not at the bottom its the ones which have switches at the bottom of the handle that always keep going.
My kids use my kettle far more than myself I use one of those that self pours the water straight into the cup or saucepan.
Melisandre

Postby lostinwonder » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:45 am

Sometimes, when the kettle is on the blink, I just use a small saucepan to boil water. I can't work out if it is more expensive that way. if you cover the pan with a lid it boils up quicker.
lostinwonder

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:14 am

lostinwonder wrote:I can't work out if it is more expensive that way.

I'm told it is as you're heating the air around the saucepan in addition to the saucepan itself.

An exception might be if you use an induction hob as the heat is generated inside the saucepan itself.
dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion