Printer madness (and the throwaway society)

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Printer madness (and the throwaway society)

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:20 pm

I can't remember when I last needed a printer for anything but dug mine out of storage yesterday in order to run off a few official inquiry forms. It turned out to be dead even though it was working perfectly when I last packed it away. I'm informed I need a new printer head but there's no guarantee that will fix the problem. I can actually buy a whole new printer (same make) with more features for less than the cost of a replacement printer head. :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Printer madness (and the throwaway society)

Postby rebbonk » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 pm

Something I know all too well!

A few years back I bought a cheap laser printer. I've yet to run out of toner but at least when I do I can refill the cartridge myself. The whole printer industry is a racket, especially when you need to buy specific cartridges.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Mine is one of the better ones in respect of replaceability of parts and ink tanks, a new one wouldn't be as good.

The same is true for TVs, cars, fridges, cookers, laptops, etc.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Some older printers will not work on Windows 10. Others may work but with some functions missing. Some will work fine. Its all in the lap of the printer God.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm

I had problems finding drivers for Windows 7 for one machine let alone Windows 10!

Something I discovered the hard way, if you stop using an inkjet printer for an extended period they stop working altogether and nothing will make them work again. So at least print a test page once in a while if nothing else.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Quite correct Dutchman. The ink pads dry up in time. Amazon sell kits to clean the pads, cheap as chips, works well and very easy to use.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 am

The latest racket is a scheme by which you pay the printer manufacturer a monthly fee who in turn monitor your printer usage and send you a replacement ink cartridge when it starts to get low.

It's part of a growing trend where you have to pay a subscription in order to use something you already own.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion