The Coventry street that has two different names

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

The Coventry street that has two different names

Postby dutchman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:46 pm

The Cheylesmore road has two different spellings on street signs - and it's causing big problems for a man trying to buy a house

Moving home is said to be one of the most stressful things in life, and for one Coventry man it has thrown up an unexpected problem.

Ben Chambers is trying to buy a house in Cheylesmore's Lymesy Street.

But after he submitted the paperwork for the property, he received a phone call from his very confused solicitor.

Ben told CoventryLive: “We are in the process of buying a house, and on all the paperwork I put Lymsey ending with SEY.

“But then the solicitor got in touch to tell me I had spelt it wrong - so I got the street in up on Google Maps and told him I spelt it the same way it is spelt on the street sign.

“Then the solicitor got it up on Google Maps too and told me the street sign was spelt ESY.

“It turns out the street name is spelt differently on the two separate signs on either side of the road - it's all a bit of a faff really."

Even more confusing is the fact that a third sign in the street also spells the name as Lymsey Street.

But those two signs have been revealed as wrong.

When CoventryLive contacted Coventry City Council to clear up the confusion, officers told us the correct spelling is actually Lymesy Street.

Ben is now calling on the council to change the signs.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: The Coventry street that has two different names

Postby dutchman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:49 pm

"Barras Lane" is also spelt wrong, it's spelt "Barr's Lane" on old maps although the apostrophe does look a little like the letter "a".
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: The Coventry street that has two different names

Postby 20A-Manor House » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:21 pm

It must be a common thing in this city!

I lived in "Edgwick Road" if i entered from Cross Road end or "Edgewick Road" from the Station Street East end!
20A-Manor House

Return to General Discussion