HD Television

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

HD Television

Postby StevieG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Has anybody seen anything in the news about a report from BBC about the shortcomings of High Definition TV . It supposedly says that a poll was conducted of viewers with this gismo and a lot said that the picture was grainy and about the same as ordinary TV picture. I notice ,on checking, that this HD gismo is being pushed like crazy and it don't come cheap so is it the case of, MUST have this by the gullible :oops:
StevieG

Re: HD Television

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 pm

I believe the report was to the effect that many people who own so-called "HD" televisions don't use them to watch programme material from true HD sources. They think they are watching true HD but are actually watching standard definition programmes which have been artificially "upscaled" to fit the pixel count of a HD display device.

On the other hand people who watch "upscaled" HD claim it is stil a vast improvement over standard definition if still not as good as true HD.

You can read the original report here:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8407690.stm

Like most BBC technical reports it is very badly written and is likely to confuse consumers even further which is why I have not reproduced it here.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby StevieG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 am

Many thanks for reply on HD TV and as usual Dutchy, very informative. :thumbsup:
I suppose the next thing they will be ramming down ppl. throats is 3D.
StevieG

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 pm

This now appears to be the story you were referring to? It didn't appear on the BBC's website until this morning:

BBC High Definition service draws complaints

The quality of pictures broadcast on the BBC High Definition (HD) channel have been criticised by viewers who complain of fuzzy and grainy images.

The head of the channel, Danielle Nagler, says that despite a series of tests, no technical fault can be found.

Not all HD programmes have the "bright, crisp look which for some is synonymous with HD", she wrote on the BBC's internet blog.

Camera and production techniques all affect the overall quality, she added.

The BBC replaced the encoders which process HD pictures in August 2009.

The replacement encoders work at a bitrate of 9.7Mbps (megabits per second), while their predecessors worked at 16Mbps, the standard for other broadcasters.

The BBC HD website describes HD as "exceptionally clear, crisp pictures with vivid colours and up to five times more detail than standard definition."

Some disgruntled viewers think the new encoders have affected this viewing experience.

"We did extensive testing on the new encoders which showed that they could produce pictures at the same or even better quality than the old encoders at the higher bitrate," a spokesperson told BBC News.

In her blog post, Ms Nagler said that the services was created to be at its best for "typical viewing set ups" and that user groups with standard equipment were happy with the service.

She told the BBC that "there is not a major issue with picture quality" and added the corporation had only received one formal complaint.

The majority of those leaving comments on her blog post disagreed.

"Even my wife can see a reduction in picture quality and she's got cataracts," wrote one.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby PoundShopPeter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:08 pm

If you play a PS3 on a HD TV you can see the difference, same with some blu-ray discs.

Sony are indeed going to push 3D television next, I think I read they and the other major players have just agreed an 'industry standard' format.
The Coventry Telegraph is the best Newspaper in the world. Honest.
PoundShopPeter

Return to General Discussion