The glorious 12th.

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

The glorious 12th.

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am

The royals have one of their holidays to coincide with the opening of the bird slaughter on the Balmoral estate. The Glorious 12th. This year though they are giving the birds a rest on their estate but no doubt the killing will continue elsewhere.
I have always though it odd that the Royals are patrons of the RSPB while at the same time blasting them out of the sky.
https://www.tatler.com/article/grouse-s ... d-balmoral
Jock Strapp

Re: The glorious 12th.

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 pm

As I understand it if it wasn't for the shooting industry the wild birds would have died out decades ago due to intensive farming destroying their natural habitat?

https://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/briefi ... -shooting/

Moors managed for red grouse are shown to be better than other land uses in maintaining heather-dominated habitat, and both directly and indirectly support the species that depend on or thrive in it. This is important because 75% of the world’s heather moorland is found in Britain. In addition, many species of upland birds, including curlew, lapwing and golden plover, are more numerous and breed more successfully on moorland managed for red grouse than on other moorland not managed in this way. The way the keepers manage the land is beneficial to these birds, some of which are of conservation concern, and whose populations are declining nationally and internationally.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: The glorious 12th.

Postby Jock Strapp » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:13 am

Shooting is similar to fox hunting, participants of both 'sports' claim that it is good for the environment or good for the creatures they slaughter. That wasn't the purpose of my post.I thought it ironic that the royal family are patrons of the RSPB and yet spend their Autumn holidays blasting the same creatures out of the sky.
Jock Strapp

Return to General Discussion