Just wondering.

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Just wondering.

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:21 am

1964 the Sultan of Oman requested British help to put down the Dhofar rebellion.About 150 SAS were sent to Muscat to quell the uprising there and 100 Royal Marine Commandos were sent to retake Salalah and the nearby airstrip. In return The Sultan promised that British ships would have freedom to use Oman's territorial water to enter the Persian Gulf in perpetuity. So.I am left wondering why British tankers are now venturing further out from Oman and risk encroaching on Iranian waters.
Jock Strapp

Re: Just wondering.

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I can't answer your question Jock. But didn't the seizure happen in the waters between the UAE and Iran?

As regards the incident itself, my understanding is that the ship was in international waters and the Iranians alleged an 'accident' had occurred and the ship had failed to stop, thus breaking international maritime law. However, I suspect that no such incident occurred and that makes the Iranians guilty of piracy.

Shame we haven't sufficient naval vessels (or personnel) to go and sort things out.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Just wondering.

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:27 pm

HMS Duncan has arrived

Royal Navy vessel HMS DUNCAN has arrived in the Gulf, where she will support the safe passage of British-flagged ships through the Strait of Hormuz along with HMS MONTROSE.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hms-duncan-arrives-in-the-gulf
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to General Discussion