I'm alright Jack (cold weather payments)

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

I'm alright Jack (cold weather payments)

Postby Jock Strapp » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:55 am

Yesterday I realised that pensioners are not getting the cold weather payment this year. I am OK as I get a pension from the army but there must be many elderly folk finding it difficult to keep warm this winter. I have noticed that young healthy job seekers do get the payment.
Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps pensioners never received this payment but my wife says we did and she is never wrong.
Jock Strapp

Re: I'm alright Jack.

Postby rebbonk » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 am

There are many unfair anomalies in our welfare system Jock, most of them against those that have contributed most.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:32 pm

I fully agree Rebbonk .

On a news thread cant recall which paper it said the poorer elderly are missing out on not claiming heating allowance up to £150
00. I question this as they claim they know every thing about our situations in all departments of government so they should know who is entitled to it and who is nt so why is nt it issued to the least well the off automatically its not rocket science is it.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Jock Strapp wrote:Yesterday I realised that pensioners are not getting the cold weather payment this year.

You may be confusing 'Old Weather Payments' which are means-tested with the 'Winter Fuel Allowance' which is available to everyone over a certain age.

https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Up until 2010 the could be claimed by anyone aged 60 or over. Gordon Brown's administration then raised the qualifying age for the Winter Fuel Allowance in stages from 60 to 66 or even 68, depending on year of birth.

By the way Jock you may not be aware but when you die your Army Pension dies with you. It is not paid to your widow although she can in some cases claim an Army Widow's Hardship Allowance. The city council treats this as 'unearned income' and claws back 85p in the pound from any other benefits she may be entitled to.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: I'm alright Jack (cold weather payments)

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Two million households to get 'big freeze' payments

Around two million UK households will receive Cold Weather Payments of £25 each, following last week's cold snap.

The government will pay out £50m, the largest weekly sum for five years.

The payments were triggered after temperatures in many parts of the country fell below zero Celsius for seven consecutive days.

Households in the West Midlands will get the highest pay-out of £8m, followed by £7m for homes in Yorkshire and Humberside.

To qualify, householders have to be claiming one of five benefits.

These are: Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Universal Credit.

The temperature in your postcode area also needs to have remained at, or below zero, for seven days running.

Cold Weather Payments are separate to Winter Fuel Payments, which are paid to those born before August 1953.

Those eligible for Cold Weather Payments will receive the money automatically in their benefits, and within two weeks.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Yes Dutchman I did know that army pension would die with me. I have made provisions for my wife and not that rip off life insurance racket either. Invest in property.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

That's good to hear Jock :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 am

LOL... Nothing very grand Dutchman. When I left Maersk I bought a flat Aldermans Green. Although I now live Allesley Park still have the flat, its been rented to the same couple for over ten years.
Jock Strapp

Return to General Discussion