DLA

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

DLA

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Contrary to popular belief it isn't easy to be awarded Disability Living Allowance (DLA). There are endless forms to be filled in that must be supported by a doctor. This government has been investigated by the Court of Human Rights and have been found wanting in the way our disabled are treated..
Instead of taking money from the disabled the government should pursue the super rich, the royal family for example and all those that place there wealth abroad and so avoid paying UK taxes.Of course we all know that will never happen.
Cars that are supplied on the Motability scheme are not free as most able bodied believe. A large part of DLA benefit, about £220 a month is deducted from benefits to fund the hire of the vehicle. Without which many of our disabled would be housebound.
An interesting article below.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e_btn_link
Jock Strapp

Re: DLA

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Jock Strapp wrote:Contrary to popular belief it isn't easy to be awarded Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

It's impossible to claim now Jock as DLA has been replaced by PIP (Personal Independence Payments) and that's a lot harder to claim than DLA ever was. Those already in receipt of DLA will continue to receive it only until such time as they're transferred to PIP.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/disab ... owance-dla
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes Dutchman I did know about PIP but admit that it had totally left my mind, its my age I suppose :smile: It is yet an updated method that Liam Duncan Smith started as just another way to take money from the disadvantaged.
As a point of interest look up LDA on Wikipedia and you will see that he was never fit for purpose.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Another thing Jock what abled body people dont know if a disabled person goes for a better car or van etc they have to pay the extra cost which can come to £2.000 or more out of their own pocket as well as the dla money being taken from them. Eg if some one needs a big van for electric wheel access with ramps so they can can drive straight into tge van that will cost an extra £2.000 pound or more extra . They have also have had to pay for the lift arm to be fitted for wheel chairs access in the boot as well now .
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

My ex-wife had a BMW convertible on motability. :shock:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes I also know someone that had a very similar car from Motability. As long as BMWs are available on the scheme and the hirer is happy to stump up a large deposit its OK.. I have only had one car on the scheme and that was a Vauxhall Insignia and I had to pay over £1000 deposit. Never again. I still have a Vauxhall but not from Motability I feel that they are a tad expensive.. I now look after cars very well and trade them for new after three years. No MOT to bother with.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Disabled man tells of benefit change stress after government tried to take away specially adapted car

A disabled bank worker has told of the stress he went through when the government tried to take away his specially adapted car.

The decision would have forced Mark Tibbett to leave his job and go on benefits.,

The 29-year-old has Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC), a condition which affects the joints and caused his hands did not form properly.

He finds it difficult to walk, work or do things independently but was given a specially-adapted car by the Department for Work and Pensions several years ago.

The automatic car, which has lighter steering than a normal vehicle and a specially adapted steering wheel, is a lifeline for Mr Tibbett and essential for him to get around.

Mr Tibbett says his DWP stress started in November last year, when he was told that he would lose his vehicle after being reassessed under the new Personal Independent Payment (PIP) scheme.

“The lady I went to see to do the assessment sent it off to somebody who had no health experience before.

“It was somebody that has never seen me making that decision - she was just reading a few notes.”

Using public transport is almost impossible, as Mark falls over easily and cannot get back up again unaided.

“I would lose everything if I didn’t have my car. I would be housebound, I would be on the dole," he said.

“I could easily sit at home and get paid by the Government, but I don’t want to do that. I wanted to do something with my life."

Mark, originally from Grangetown, went through an appeal process that took two months.

The DWP decided to overturn the decision and Mark will now keep his car.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion