Minister suggests women hit by pension age change 'take up apprenticeships'

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Minister suggests women hit by pension age change 'take up apprenticeships'

Postby dutchman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Guy Opperman’s comments enrage ‘Waspi’ campaigners – and Conservative MPs join criticism of policy

The pensions minister is facing criticism after suggesting that millions of women in their 60s who are facing cuts to their state pension could take up apprenticeships as a route to re-employment.

Guy Opperman said the government would not change laws that have disadvantaged older women, but instead highlighted “extended apprenticeship opportunities” to get older people into work.

His comments, which were met with cries of “shame”, came at a meeting in Westminster Hall at which fellow Conservatives and members of the Democratic Unionist Party were among dozens of MPs saying that the changes were unfair.

The debate centred on the plight of the so-called Waspi women – Women Against State Pension Inequality – whose aim is to achieve fair transitional arrangements for women born in the 1950s, for whom the state pension age is being raised from 60 to 66 by 2020.

Opperman said the government would not offer concessions and instead suggested that older people could retrain, go back to work or take up an apprenticeship.

“There is a massive amount that this government has done on a progressive basis to get people back into employment in their pre-pension years.

“We have created and extended a network of older people’s champions into all 34 Jobcentre Plus districts in the country.

“We have committed to lifelong learning – over 200,000 over 60 have entered further education.

“Thirdly, we have also extended apprenticeship opportunities as one of the best routes to skilled employment for people of all ages and gender. Such apprenticeships in England for example in 2014/15 are 12% of the starting apprenticeships are for those over 45,” he said.

Graham Jones, the Labour MP for Hyndburn, raised a point of order following Opperman’s comment.

“I’m struggling to hear the debate, did the minister just say that women aged 64 could go on an apprenticeship course?” he said.

Campaigners for Waspi women took to Twitter to express their anger at Opperman’s comments. Diana Mitchell Launt wrote: “I don’t want an apprenticeship: I’ve studied enough. ILM Level 3 in Management, NHS M & H trainer. H & S. Want my pension. 45 yrs NI.

“I care for my partner who has severe heart failure. At 60 I would be gutted that I would be stealing an apprentice ship from young.”

Another, Carol Billett, tweeted: “So maybe us Waspi Campaign women can all be become sorcerers apprentices and magic a pension! Guy Opperman, you’re a disgrace!”

Just to clear it was the LABOUR party which brought in this policy and has no plans to reverse it if elected to government. The CON-DEMS extended the qualifying age for women's pensions by up to two years in some cases but were not the first to abolish them.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Minister suggests women hit by pension age change 'take up apprenticeships'

Postby Melisandre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Wonder what Liebour or the Cons have planned next up their sleeve to rob us all of our pensions they like to dip into often enough. Oh just noticed Liebour and Con both now equil to each other one lie s while the other Cons could nt be more apt.
Diane Abbott cant even do or remember how to do her job so how do they expect others to and she has a cushy life.
Melisandre

Re: Minister suggests women hit by pension age change 'take up apprenticeships'

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 am

Wherever there's money others will find ways to get their hands on it. The old employers used to regularly raid the pension pots, now it's the state. I'm willing to bet that in the foreseeable future anyone with money in the bank will be targeted by such things as a 'wealth tax'. - But it will be a flat amount, not a percentage, so as not to rob the rich.

As for this ministers' suggestion, he's a bl**dy fool.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to General Discussion