"Coventry named one of best UK cities for raising a family"

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

"Coventry named one of best UK cities for raising a family"

Postby dutchman » Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Factors taken into account included the number of outstanding schools, parks, job opportunities, burglaries, house prices and average income

Coventry has been named one of the best cities in Britain to raise a family.

The city finished in the top ten of the MoneySuperMarket.com study, which examined six categories.

These included the number of outstanding schools, parks, job opportunities, burglaries, house prices and average income.

Newcastle beat 34 others to head the UK Family Living Index for having the most family-friendly environment.

But Coventry achieved a respectable seventh-placed finish, beating the likes of Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Manchester.

The Index analysed six categories - schools, parks, burglaries, jobs, house prices and income - awarding marks out of ten across the board.

It then weighted the scores with total marks out of five to come up with the rankings.

Coventry racked up an average score of 4.34, narrowly beating York, who finished eighth.

Newcastle topped the table with a 5/5 score, with Derby and Wolverhampton in second and third respectively.

Southampton, Bath and Nottingham also made the top ten places to raise a family along with York, Oxford and Stoke.

London came last, losing points for sky high property prices, burglaries and massive competition for school places.

Coventry also beat Liverpool (4.13), Manchester (4.03), Cardiff (3.88) and Birmingham (3.68).

MoneySuperMarket spokesperson Kevin Pratt said: “Parents naturally want the best for their children, whether it’s a good school, a safe and leafy neighbourhood, or plenty of career opportunities when they grow up.”

MoneySuperMarket said: “The Family Living Index was created to guide parents - or soon to be parents - looking to future proof their next move.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Coventry named one of best UK cities for raising a family"

Postby rebbonk » Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

OK, Coventry does have plenty of redeeming features, but I'm not exactly sure this survey brings them out.

Factors taken into account included ... burglaries
- According to my insurance company, my area has lots of burglaries. I don't think it's particularly bad and with my dog I don't see it as a likely occurrence to me, but it would appear that the insurance companies might just be at odds with this survey.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to General Discussion