Conservative manifesto: Why many will pay more for care

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: Conservative manifesto: Why many will pay more for care

Postby dutchman » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Don't be fooled – Theresa May has no intention of dropping the 'dementia tax'

Theresa May’s manifesto meltdown on social care has been billed by some as a U-turn. But don’t be fooled – her heartless plans for a “Dementia Tax” are still firmly in place. As she has said herself, nothing has changed and the principles of the plan remain the same.

Those unfortunate enough to develop a condition that requires long-term care will still have to pay catastrophic care costs after they die, including from the value of their home. A vague commitment to hold a consultation on a cap will be of little comfort to millions of families across the country worried about how much of their home will be up for grabs. It is a cynical attempt to take voters for fools at this election.

The Conservative policy will mean that those who live out their days with a long-term illness, such as dementia, will have the costs of their care clawed back from their estates after death. It’s unfair and it’s wrong.

Instead of addressing these concerns, Theresa May is trying to pull the wool over voters’ eyes. Her announcement today simply adds confusion and chaos, when what families need now is certainty. Just how much of their homes would the Conservatives take to pay for care? We still don’t know – and won’t until after the election.

There is no doubt about the scale of the crisis in our social care system. 1.2 million older people don’t get the care they need, and services across the country are facing a £2bn black hole this year alone. Too many people are saddled with crippling care costs, punished for having the misfortune to live with conditions like dementia.

Theresa May’s policy won’t solve this crisis. Instead, it will cruelly force elderly people to sell their home when they die to fund their care. It is yet another sign that Theresa May simply doesn’t care about the challenges facing ordinary people. She’s taking voters for granted, believing that Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party is so weak that she’s guaranteed a majority.

As the population continues to grow and lifespans get longer, even bolder action will be required to ensure people get the care they need throughout their lives.

Theresa May’s Dementia Tax plan makes it clear: a Conservative landslide would be terrible for the country. People will lose their homes, and the health and care crisis will go on.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 pm

We still don’t know – and won’t until after the election

There lies the rub. How much do you trust her? I don't trust her at all. She seems remarkably unstable and inconsistent in her thinking to me. It's nothing to do with listening to the voters as her supporters would have us believe: this particular lady does seem to be for turning.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Conservative 'Dementia Tax' policy hurts Theresa May's chances in Coventry

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... s-13145290

I doubt that actually, according to that survey most of those directly affected either don't care or seem to have forgotten. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 pm

My cross for our Labour candidate wet in the ballot box at 10.15 this morning.
Care for the elderly .... I am 83, if I get cancer or any dread disease I will be taken to hospital and treated almost free by the NHS.
As I see it. If I get another illness, dementia for example one way or another I will be paying fully for treatment.
Mental or bodily illnesses should get the same NHS treatment.... Jock
Jock Strapp

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Understand your thoughts Jock. But where there's money (equity in homes etc.) they'll eventually find a way to part us from it.

Anyone thinking that the Tories were doing them a favour by selling them council houses on the cheap will eventually come to the realisation that they weren't. It's all one great big con on the working classes, who in the main, don't see what's really going on. As long as the average Joe has fags, booze, football, soaps and reality TV, he really doesn't care. We really need an awareness campaign on the hard facts of life.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Labour I ve been informed has simular plans placing you in a flat complex for the sick and disabled and you pay for your care by selling your home. IMO there is nt one party fit to run this country they are all working and taking their orders from the mighty big rich boys.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm

I forecast pensions will soon be on the radar (again). :stir:
rebbonk

Previous

Return to General Discussion