Wireless hack means millions of Volkswagen cars could be stolen

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Wireless hack means millions of Volkswagen cars could be stolen

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Anybody who has bought a VW in the last 20 years could be vulnerable

As many as 100million Volkswagen cars sold during the last 20 years could be HACKED and potentially stolen, according to experts.

Thanks to a security bug found in the vehicles' keyless entry system, experts are suggesting millions of models and their owners are at risk.

Researchers at the University of Birmingham discovered the vulnerability which allows hackers to steal cars by simply copying the radio frequency used in remote control locking systems.

The process, known widely as a remote-cloning attack, was discovered when researchers cloned Volkswagen remote keyless entry controls by eavesdropping nearby when drivers press their key fobs to open and lock their cars.

Experts are now claiming, theoretically, attackers could wirelessly unlock every vehicle manufactured by the Volkswagen group over the past two decades.

It is not known how many Coventry and Warwickshire motorists are affected.

Vehicles vulnerable include 100million models sold since 1995, excluding current Golf, Tiguan, Touran and Passat models.

And, as if that news wasn't worrying enough, but researchers now say other manufacturers - including Audi, Seat and Skoda - could also be affected.

A paper published earlier this week by the researchers explains: "It is conceivable that all VW Group (except for some Audi) cars manufactured in the past and partially today rely on a 'constant-key' scheme and are thus vulnerable to the attacks," the paper reads.

Earlier this year, the car giant and Porsche recalled thousands of models - due to a problem with a small clip in the pedal assembly.

Cars built between the years 2011 and 2016 are affected, with the recall crucial after the company discovered “a circlip could be loose on the bearing bracket for pedals”.

17,219 UK-based Volkswagen Touaregs are being recalled, with the number of worldwide models affected stretching to 391,000.

On top of this, the company is recalling 14,600 Porsche Cayennes across the UK, also built between the aforementioned five-year period.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Wireless hack means millions of Volkswagen cars could be stolen

Postby rebbonk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:38 pm

This is nothing new. The technique of cloning was well known as far back as the early 90s. The fact that VW has appeared to ignore the evidence shows the disdain that they hold their customers with.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 am

War against 'keyless' car crime taken to the streets of Bedworth

The war against car thieves is literally being taken to the streets of Bedworth as community cops are offering crime-fighting gadgets to owners of high value cars.

Following a spate of thefts of high value ‘keyless’ cars parked up outside peoples' homes, officers from Bedworth Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) are bringing vehicle protection right to the doors of people across the town and neighbouring Bulkington.

As part of a sting, code-named Operation Consort, police officers and Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) are patrolling the streets looking for high value ‘keyless’ cars.

Where they spot them, officers are chatting with their owners, and offering information, crime prevention advice, and useful items to help combat thefts of and from vehicles.

They are also giving them ‘Defenders’ which are specially designed fabric pouches with a signal blocker built in.

PCSO Khane Barlow of Bedworth SNT explained: "We are aware of car thieves targeting high value or modern cars in our area, specifically keyless vehicles such as Ford ST's, RS's and Honda Civic Type R's to name a few.

“The signal blocker isn’t just aimed at stopping people using their phones whilst behind the wheel (as it prevents calls and alerts). It also has the capability to block signals transmitted by contactless cards, modern passports and more importantly during this operation; keyless car fobs, preventing would-be thieves and identity fraudsters.

“We would recommend residents look to purchase one of these when our stock runs out. We will also be looking at the way criminals are crossing county lines to commit thefts of motor vehicles in our area, and have a number of options 'up our sleeves' under our Operation Consort. The Defender can be purchased online, and has previously been recommended by BBC's Rip Off Britain programme. We would rather help our residents to deter thieves, than deal with them as victims afterwards."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm

If I'd paid a small fortune for a vehicle that the manufacturer had trumpeted on about keyless entry (and had no doubt charged me for it) I'd be spitting blood. I wouldn't want special covers for my 'key' I'd want the system to work as it should and be secure.

I once unwittingly uncovered a major security issue with several ranges of vehicles. I dutifully reported it up the chain of command. The man at the top decided that we would "go at risk," which meant that it was hoped that the public didn't find out about it. :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to General Discussion