Coventry's fast trains to London could be cut to improve journey times from Birmingham

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: Coventry's fast trains to London could be cut to improve journey times from Birmingham

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:45 am

It really is a shame that these people can't be held properly accountable for their pre-election promises. Words are cheap. :fuming:

I've not seen one candidate for this role who I'd be happy voting for.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Coventry's fast trains to London could be cut to improve journey times from Birmingham

Postby dutchman » Tue May 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Question marks remain over future of Coventry's train services

Michelle Lowe Tory candidate for Coventry South; Chris Grayling, government transport secretary; and Cllr Tim Mayer Tory candidate for Coventry North East

The government’s transport secretary has declined to categorically guarantee that Coventry’s train services to London would be protected under a Tory government.

But Chris Grayling, the Conservative transport secretary, did say he wasn’t expecting the level to be reduced despite a government consultation document for the West Coast Mainline painting a different picture.

That document indicated the number of long-distance services that stop at “intermediate” stations such as Coventry and Rugby could be chopped.

The city currently has three services an hour to London but there are fears Coventry could become increasingly isolated. A problem that would be compounded if existing services switch over to the soon to be constructed HS2 high speed rail line which will link Birmingham to London - but bypass Coventry.

But Mr Grayling told the Telegraph he believed HS2 could actually improve the services Coventry received.

Asked if Coventry could see a reduction in train services, he said: “I don’t see any changes to the train services in the short term. Actually, in the longer term as HS2 arrives in the West Midlands, I see more opportunity for services in Coventry rather than less.

“The line that goes from Rugby, Coventry to Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street only has got two tracks.

“Mixing in Virgin Trains, London Midland, Metro you very often get a train traffic jam. What HS2 will do is create an extra element of capacity in the West Midlands.

“That means there’s actually more opportunity for services serving Coventry. I would expect Coventry to continue to have good services to London, good services to places like Rugby and Northampton and better commuter services into Birmingham.”

Asked why a government consultation document suggest cutting services if it’s not going to happen, he said: “It’s not my intention that HS2 and the changes to the West Coast Mainline would lead to anywhere ending up with a reduced service.

“The point about Coventry is that you have a bottleneck here and this (HS2) will allow us to remove the bottleneck.

“I expect fewer express trains to be passing through on this particular line, because they’ll be travelling on the HS2 route.

“That will open up the opportunity for far more services that will benefit places like the Friargate development.

“At this stage, we’re also asking for opinions. I have no intention of presiding over the destruction of a train service to any town.”

Asked if he would guarantee train services would not be reduced if the Conservatives were re-elected at the General Election on June 8, he said: “I’m not expecting us to reduce train services to Coventry.

“I can’t see any situation in which that would make any sense.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion